White worms, black worms

Paul B

Don't cook the potatoes, you will spoil the worms into think you are their maid. I use a powdered mashed potatoes but I think they will eat anything. Feed very little like a half a teaspoon for now and don't sprinkle it around. Put it in small piles. Dampen the food also

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I am liking the White Worms better than the Grindal Worms because they are a little bit bigger and easier to feed to my fish. They need to get established more before I get to feed my fish with them daily tho. :)

dprais1

first post here.

I have been keeping whiteworms for a long time. I use coconut coir that they sell for reptiles. It comes in bricks that expand when water is added and has zero ferts and is rather benign so if some goes in your tank it isn't a big deal. I mix in some dry, powdered egg shells to the coir to buffer pH. Low pH from worm waste will crash your worm culture.

My best worm production comes from feeding a high quality dry cat food (Orijen). But worms are worms and they have a big digestive track so some of what you feed ends up in the fish.
I rotate the cat food with spirulina wafers and color sticks. Hypothetically this gives a more balanced, varied diet to the worms and, hence, the fish. When I feed the color sticks the worms take on a reddish tint.

HTH

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
great post !

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
first post here.

I have been keeping whiteworms for a long time. I use coconut coir that they sell for reptiles. It comes in bricks that expand when water is added and has zero ferts and is rather benign so if some goes in your tank it isn't a big deal. I mix in some dry, powdered egg shells to the coir to buffer pH. Low pH from worm waste will crash your worm culture.

My best worm production comes from feeding a high quality dry cat food (Orijen). But worms are worms and they have a big digestive track so some of what you feed ends up in the fish.
I rotate the cat food with spirulina wafers and color sticks. Hypothetically this gives a more balanced, varied diet to the worms and, hence, the fish. When I feed the color sticks the worms take on a reddish tint.

HTH
Hi dprais1 :wave:
Thanks for sharing your worm culture tips! Very interesting & I'm going to try to find some of the coconut coir.
I've had my currant worm culture going for a month & still waiting for there to be enough worms for daily feeding.
Hope you'll share more info & after 5 posts, I'd love to see some pictures of your tank & worms :D
Thanks for joining in and also:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary! :crowd:

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Where do you guys keep your worms, in the fridge or on the basement floor (room temp)!?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I keep mine at room temp in a dark cabinet. So far they are doing OK.
Good question, I'm not sure mine wouldn't do better (produce more) in a cooler temp :dunno:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
They say the do well up to 70, I would think somewhere I the low 60'swould be idealid temp make any difference.

dprais1

Mine do great in chicago-land room temp during the fall, winter and early spring (about 66-70)when the temp gets over 72-74 the production severely drops off.
I have heard of people keeping them in wine fridges since they stay a warmer than typical fridge settings.

p.s. I am about 2-3 months out from setting up my tank, just doing research for now. and figuring out what tank to buy. 90bowfront or 125 rectangle? or 135? or 155 bowfront....

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:yummy:My FISH L:heart:VE EATING WHITE WORMS! :yummy:
I'm growing enough to feed them some everyday but the fish are still excited & wagging theirs tails for more when the daily supply is gone. :yummy: need to increase production.
Who all is feeding LIVE WORMS now?

Paul B

I am, I am. But I don't really count as I practically invented blackworms with salt water fish :dunno:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I am, I am. But I don't really count as I practically invented blackworms with salt water fish :dunno:
Yep, that's about what I was thinking too Paul :yup:
I'm so glad that you shared it here because I really feel good about feeding my fish live white worms.
Thanks for all you share! :thumbup:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Paul ever considered wax worms?
NutriDiet® Waxworms is the ideal solution for feeding a natural diet to fresh and saltwater fish. It is perfect for the aquarist seeking variety or an alternative to pelleted foods. Studies have shown that waxworms can be used to condition a variety of fish for breeding. The unique packaging process of NutriDiet® Waxworms locks in moisture and nutrients making it more palatable and more nutritious than freeze-dried waxworms.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/NutriDiet_Waxworms.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-Live-Wa...ing-Reptile-Gecko-Food-waxworms-/251212873490

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
They might ;)

The wax worms are sold in many stores here (we have two of the nations best world class trout fishing streams) and seems one can buy them in bulk & even raise them from a google searches if one wanted too feed live.

they are quite big though, one would be a meal for a fish the size of a clown ;)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
first post here.

HTH
I took your advice & ordered some coconut coir today to grow worms in....now I'm wondering where do you get the "dry powered egg shells"?? Anyone know?

dprais1

make an omelet or scrambled eggs. leave the empty shells in the egg carton in the fridge. I have used a coffee grinder to powder the the eggshells after they have dried out in the fridge for a few days.

hth