White worms, black worms

Paul B

I have been feeding blackworms to fish for about fifty years and still do, but now I also raise white worms because I wanted something that I could "fill" with fish oil before I fed them to the fish. Here are some white worms. I put that piece of Matzo in there about 2 hours ago. in a couple of more hours it will be gone and it was covered in fish oil. I just take a knife and lift out a blob of worms from the top and no dirt comes along with it.
I also feed them Cheerios with fish oil.
All my paired fish are spawning and there has not been a disease in about 35 years. Must be something to it. ;)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:bump: Bumping this thread up to learn more about "how to" keep white/black worm cultures thriving.
I got my 1st worms in today (from NY...city worms I reckon :LOL:)
I need to know what kind of potting soil to use to make more worms grow. Hope Paul B can tell me ;)
Here's the Grindal Worms I'm starting with..hope my fish like them :yummy::fishy:
null_zps3cc63268.jpg
[/IMG]
If you feed live worms and have any TIPS on success, please SHARE :)

Paul B

I use regular potting soil without any fertilizer but that is hard to find now. Keep it well dampened and stir it up every week or so. I am trying to design an easier way to separate the worms from the soil. It used to be easy, the worms would go all over the food and I could just lift out a bunch, but Since I went to Hawaii and left them for 2 weeks, I think they got jealous because now they don't do that any more and it is difficult to collect them even though I seem to have millions of them. I will come up with something.
Directly due to the worms, my clown gobies laid eggs this week.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I've been in search for some potting soil WITHOUT fertilizer, NO LUCK finding any yet. I have a couple more places to look locally.
I Put some Cheerios in for food but these worms may be a little jet lagged to eat yet.
I bought them off of eBay & they didn't come with any instructions.
Does anything come with instructions anymore :confused:

Paul B

I know, I use soil with fertilizer. I can't find any without it. It won't hurt the worms, I just would rather not have it

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Is there a difference between white worms and grindal worms?

Not real sure, from what I saw on YouTube tho, they are different. They require different temperatures to do their best. White worms need cooler temps than Grindal worms and Grindal worms are smaller in size. This is my 1st day to be in possession of tiny little worms so I'm too knew to know what I'm talking about here ;) :yup:

Not real sure, from what I saw on YouTube tho, they are different. They require different temperatures to do their best. White worms need cooler temps than Grindal worms and Grindal worms are smaller in size. This is my 1st day to be in possession of tiny little worms so I'm too knew to know what I'm talking about here ;) :yup:

Just hope those weren't whole grain cheerios your feeding them... nothing likes those. Just saying :wave: lol

Paul B

As a matter of fact, I take fish oil every day. Twice a day and I eat fish maybe 3 times a week. But I frown on putting fish oil on my Cheerios. That would be nasty. :drool:

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
What is the general temperature of where you keep your worms? Mine are in the basement and this time of year the temp is around 55-60 degrees. Is that a normal temperature for them to be or should I consider relocating them to a little warmer part of the house?

david42

I'm a little confused. Looked up white worms on Internet. Seems like there are different types or people call them different things. I saw "white worms" "meal worms" and "feeder worms"

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I got my White Worm Culture in today. I'm confused with this being a "culture" if the are ready to use as food or not? Maybe it's food on the bottom or they are all huddled up in a super model discussion.
19cee19a349d19ca886798bf3d0bfee2_zps1fcf7c67.jpg

Paul B

I can't really tell if they are Supermodel worms or not from this angle. I can't even tell if they are worms, jelly beans, Ring Dings or if this is an advertisement for jewelry.
But if there are worms in there, keep them damp and feed them instant mashed potatoes. If they are Supermodel worms, they will eat very little and some of them may have a French accent.
Stir them up occasionally to get some air to the bottom of the thing you are keeping them in and I hope it is not that bottle. Get a plastic shoebox, stick some holes in it and throw a black towel over them or keep them in the dark. Supermodel worms are very worried about their completion and hate light unless it is from photographer's flash units.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:LOL: :laughroll
I just got them out of the mail box...Will be putting them in a larger container with more potting soil this evening (after work). I put 4 Cheerios in & since then I've actually seen a few crawling around :thumbup:
They aren't eating the Cheerios YET so they might well be the Supermodel worms. ;)
I think that white blob in the bottom will turn out to be food.
Do I cook the instant mashed potatoes or feed them the dry flakes?
Thanks for your help & the good laugh Paul :D