White Pineapple Under the Sea????

AnisaG

Hi there!

I found this guy after a water change yesterday, sorry the pics are so fuzzy but he is in the most awkward position, and he hasn't moved at all since yesterday afternoon at around 4pm. He is all white and really does look like a pineapple! With a crown on his head! Any ideas on what he might be??
Aquarium_2014.jpg

Aquarium_2014.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Does he look like this?

Melevsreef.com - Scypha Sponge

scypha.jpg

This is a harmless Scypha sponge. They are very small, and usually found in our overflow boxes and down in the sump. Attached to rock, glass or acrylic or even your plumbing, they may be about the size of a grain of rice or perhaps larger, like Debi's above. These little filter-feeders are reef-safe.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I have some in my sump 1/2 inch long - harmless, but they can be a bit of a nuisance if they overpopulate.

rdwilson91

Why that's a pineapple sponge! Seriously, that's one of its names. If you are using tap water, it may have silicates. More than likely, your sand contains chemically bound silica that is being unbound and used up by the sponges. Soon after my tank cycled I had an explosion of those sponges, then they died out. They're a good sign, your water quality is good and your silicates are being used.

AnisaG

Thanks Everyone! That is EXACTLY what he looks like! I only have the one that I can find, and he is right in the middle of my dt, on a rock close to the back. I don't use Tap water, but I buy RO water from the grocery store, maybe it is the sand that contains the silicates, I am just really happy that he is reef safe! :goofy:

Thanks Again!