Which would you use . . .

Textured or Smooth (Not THAT!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kyle1284

i think a rough surface would provide a more "gripable" surface for the coral to grow onto.....

vdituri

Wit's on time out. No posts for 24hrs. Go to your sump!

I would say textured as well. Both for the corals to grip and for any use of superglue to grip.

mps9506

To be honest Al, I used plastic golf tees for a long time and was happy with those. You can clip them to fit into rocks, stick em in the sand etc.
The bad thing about the tees though is they don't fit into the egg crate racks people like to use to grow frags. They fall right through.

As far as the reef plugs above I would probably ise the smooth because it would be easier to glue frags onto the smooth than the rough.

vdituri

Mike, no problems or concerns about stuff leaching out of the plastic in the tees? I guess it could be considered insignificant concern in a large tank, I just worry with saltwater leaching stuff. I'm a worrier.

To be honest Al, I used plastic golf tees for a long time and was happy with those. You can clip them to fit into rocks, stick em in the sand etc.
The bad thing about the tees though is they don't fit into the egg crate racks people like to use to grow frags. They fall right through.

As far as the reef plugs above I would probably ise the smooth because it would be easier to glue frags onto the smooth than the rough.

mps9506

Mike, no problems or concerns about stuff leaching out of the plastic in the tees? I guess it could be considered insignificant concern in a large tank, I just worry with saltwater leaching stuff. I'm a worrier.

I'm a worrier also, but I've used them and people in our reef club and others use them with no problems. When I first read about using them I had similar concerns but someone posted the plastic they are made of, and confirmed they were "reef safe." It's pretty much an inert material and coralline grows over it very fast.

vdituri

Good to know.
Now I just have to switch from wood tees to plastic. lol

Hope it doesn't affect my game.

mps9506

Well wit likes the metal poll, but that's another discussion.

I still think if you are gonna be supergluing frags to the ceramic plugs, smooth would be easier to attach the frags to than rough. Smooth aragonite isn't really all that smooth and will still give plenty for the coral to grow and attach to.

CATALYST

I picked smooth because it would be easier to remove with a razor if needed. I think it depends what you're sticking to them though.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Oh my gosh, Jack is rubbing off on you:wit:
You don't know Dave very well yet obviously! :D
Allen, I am not a big fan of plugs period. If i was going to use them though i would go with the golf tee's. There going to be easier to fit into holes and crevasses in the rock. I like to just spot glue my corals just enough to hold them until they grow to the rock. If your lighting and water parameters are good the corals will encrust pretty quickly. If the flow is pushing them over then it is too direct on the coral in the first place and needs adjusting.
I have used live rock to make my own post. Just get one and smash it up into the right size for a base. Thats the safest way also. (as long as you wear eye protection! ;) )

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok I got my shipment of "plugs & disks" in today. I was impressed with the quality of the shipment. I got:

1 bag of textured plugs Textured Reef Plugs 25pc
1 bag of smooth plugs Reef Plugs 25pc
1 bag textured disks Textured Reef Disks 20pc
3 bags of sample items (includes plugs, disks and rocks) Sample Pack

I like the looks of ALL of them. I would suggest any and all of these and the price was great. I got ALL of these for LESS than one bag of plugs would have cost at some other places.

:)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Exactly.. :LOL:

actually I already had all of this ordered BEFORE I posted this poll. I can't WAIT to start using these products. Once I have some experience under my belt I'll post more of a review.

:)