Which vortech pump for my RSM250

matthew11

Hi Everyone, been looking at vortech for a while now and finally think its time to get one as the rsm pumps im finding are leaving dead spots in my tank which is making my cyano bacteria problem worse.
Ive been looking at the vortech mp10 mainly because its half price of the mp40, and was thinking whether or not it would be ok on the RSM250 as the vortech mp10 specifications say that the max glass thickness it 9.5mm yet the rsm 250 glass is 10mm. ive seen a few members here with the vortech mp10 in rsm250's....have u had any problems with the magnets holding? :)

matthew11

awesome, i think i will go ahead and buy the mp10. they look such amazing pumps and add so much more flow to the tank. hopefully replacing the t5's + MP10 + installation of phosphate reactor + water changes will eradicate all my nuisance algae :( but im looking forward to the mp10 :)

Gav

I use an MP40 in my rsm250 and I know people who have 2 MP40's hooked up in their rsm250 and run them both at 80% in reefcrest mode.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Several members run two MP10 - here a good read EcoTech Marine | Products | VorTech MP10 ES Propeller Pump

Even one at speeds up to 1,575 gallons per hour adds quit a bit of flow - more than 150% increase over stock

1 x 1200 lph & 1 x 2400 lph
(320 gph & 640 gph)

I run mine at about 1/2 speed... lot depends on what you want to keep, I have a basketball size hammer coral & about 1/2 speed all he can take.

N83259

Glenn:

Timely thread for me! I'm going to get one too and was pondering which model to get.

Will the magnets still hold with the spacer? And the spacer is there to dampen vibration....is that correct? If I were to go with the MP 10 wireless version, does anyone know if you could add the battery backup and/or another MP 10 and/or MP 40 at a later date?

TIA for any info..........

tnwillia

N83259, Don't need the spacer on the MP-10, not sure anyone has tried to use it, you do need it on the MP-40.Yes to all with the wireless ES (which I think is the only option now anyway) The battery back-up is worth every penny and can be run with 2 Vortechs attached to it. Have fun!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The battery backup can be added at any time. I added mine long after my Vortech was put in.

matthew11

Haha awesome! ok I will get a MP10 today, hopefully it will arrive in the mail soon. apparently they 'can' vibrate quite loudly...but from what ive seen its just a matter of wiggling the magnet into alignment.

infer66

I have an MP40 on my 250 and I am very pleased. I am considering a second one.
Keep in mind that the lower rpm you run it the quieter it sounds. Instead of running an mp10 at 80-100%(whirring sound) its better to run the mp40 at 40-50%(no sound)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
at 60-70 % my mp10 can't be heard over the normal stock pumps & fans

I have pretty large grain sand & can shift it easily ... on 100% I can damage my soft corals, I think two mp10's in sync mode would be ideal for my tank.

steved13

PREMIUM
I have 2 mp10s usually in the 60%-80% range, 1 hour per day both at 100% and 50% over night (10pm - 10AM), they stay pretty quiet, unless they're telling me they need a cleaning on the wet side. The key is keeping the wteside and dryside aligned properly. They are not silent but nothing I would call noisy.

N83259

Excellent info, great thread. Thanks all. I'm convinced the MP 40 is the way to go. I must resist the temptation to under - purchase (also known as being a cheapskate).

Just curious. Folks talk about improving flow to specific parts of the tank to reduce "algae & cyno." I was just wondering how this works. I know light & nutrients are the big variables in algae growth. What does "flow" have to do with it?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think you'll be happy with the MP40 in a 250. You can always turn it down. I'm not sure increased flow reduces green algae, but it's a common recommendation for cyano, which is actually a bacteria. I'm not sure of the exact reason, other than maybe the nutrients that the cyano needs are more plentiful in low flow areas, or those low flow areas are just more conducive to it multiplying into a slime like growth.