Which tank?

I am wanting to upgrade from a 40 gallon breeder tank. I have been eyeing the 70 gallon marineland cube tank, 30 x 30 x 18. I was thinking this fora standard 75 gallon. I think the cube tank would cost less then it would then the standard 75 gallon. I dont plan any big fish, just a few clown fish, firefish, and a blenny. Which do you feel would be a better tank to go with. I want this to be the last tank I go with.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think the "cube" look is way cool. For the most part all cubes are very eye pleasing. I tend to go for a true cube which would mean 30" x 30" x 30" (approx 120g) but that adds a whole other dimension when it comes to lighting a tank that's 30" deep.

Just on a personal note the most well proportioned and eye pleasing tank footprint for me is the standard 120g which is roughly 48" x 24" x 24". For a tank of 100 + gallons I vote 120, more than 150 I vote 240 and less than 100 I vote "CUBIC BABY"!

That's just my 2 cents :)

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
It also depends on the space you have. I filled up a wall with a standard 125 but the cubes are great for smaller spaces. It all depends on what you like.

DesertOrchid

+1 for the above advice. It Definitely depends on what you like and what you can afford to light. Bigger is alway a more stable enviroment and once addicted to this hobby it only gets worse getting bigger and badder tanks. LOL!! Best of luck and keep RS posted with some pics!

I think the "cube" look is way cool. For the most part all cubes are very eye pleasing. I tend to go for a true cube which would mean 30" x 30" x 30" (approx 120g) but that adds a whole other dimension when it comes to lighting a tank that's 30" deep.

Just on a personal note the most well proportioned and eye pleasing tank footprint for me is the standard 120g which is roughly 48" x 24" x 24". For a tank of 100 + gallons I vote 120, more than 150 I vote 240 and less than 100 I vote "CUBIC BABY"!

That's just my 2 cents :)

While I agree on the 120, I have to use my current skimmer I have, and the 120 is too big for it. I have a SRO xp1000sss. So i really cant go any bigger then a 75 gallon.

If I get the Cube, Im going to custom make a stand, to fit a 30 gallon sump.. Equipment I have on my 40 gallon tank, 2 mp10w es, Apex, The sro skimmer, and an ATI sunpower 24 inch. If I go cube, I was thinking I wouldnt have to change anything up with the ati light, the 2 10's. If the ATI doesnt light it up, i figured I could sell it and just buy a cheap halide retro for now, till I go leds. I just dont know what I want to do! lol

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Personally, I love the look of cubes. They are also very versatile as you can put them just about anywhere. Large and long tanks require long walls.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

bshady

I agree with everyone above cube tanks are very appealing. I would do the cube. They are versatile in which you can decorate them.

I agree with everyone above cube tanks are very appealing. I would do the cube. They are versatile in which you can decorate them.

I was thinking, if I do indeed go back to halides, I would only need 1, so 250 watts vs 500 watts is a big difference, between the 2 tanks. That right there makes me want the cube tank for sure

Bshady.... I see in your zoo's list, you have goblins fire, DO you have a pixture of them? Im looking all over for them, and what people have listed as goblins fire, turn out to not be the real ones. Just curious how yours look :)