Which T5?!!!

jayfan

I have a 100g tank that I'm looking to improve the lights from my VERY basic set up right now. I'm looking at the Nova Extreme 8x54, Nova Extreme Pro 6x54, or a TEK 8x54. Any suggestions?????? Right now my tank is just a FOWLR, but I "might" start to include corals in the near future......

I know the Extreme Pro offers seperate reflectors which I've heard are very important.....although I've heard you want as much light as possible, so I should go with the "8" light over the "6".

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
you get more light from individual reflectors (IDRs) on 6 bulbs than 8 bulbs without IDRs.

Also, with a 100g tank I would look at a better quality reflector than Novas - they are somewhat deep - deeper than a Current fixture will reach. What are the dimensions of the tank?

TEK 8x54 is the best of that list; Aquactinics Solar Flare or Constellation might work better - much better quality reflector. The depth of the tank constrains what fixtures will work well

jayfan

you get more light from individual reflectors (IDRs) on 6 bulbs than 8 bulbs without IDRs.

Also, with a 100g tank I would look at a better quality reflector than Novas - they are somewhat deep - deeper than a Current fixture will reach. What are the dimensions of the tank?

TEK 8x54 is the best of that list; Aquactinics Solar Flare or Constellation might work better - much better quality reflector. The depth of the tank constrains what fixtures will work well

48"x18.5"x25" are the dimensions of the tank.

seafansar

ATI fixtures are great. Very clean looking, lightweight, and very bright! My dad got one to put over his 90 gallon and I was really impressed with the intensity of the light. His GBTA is finally coloring up under the lights.

Frankie

RS STAFF
ATI fixtures are great. Very clean looking, lightweight, and very bright! My dad got one to put over his 90 gallon and I was really impressed with the intensity of the light. His GBTA is finally coloring up under the lights.
ATI is the one I would use if I went T5~

Midnight

this is the light I am using on my 75 and it works great. I have two sps and a clam under it and everyone is doing great.

48 inch 8x54W Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture (48in Units )

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
If your tank is 25" deep then I would go with ATI, Aquactinics Solar Flare (which has Icecap ballasts overdriving the bulbs), or metal halide. Other fixtures won't penetrate the tank far enough

nunlef

what about the lights from catalina? I have been doing a little research, and heard (from limited sources) that owners like them.

Just thought I would throw that one in there.

I've been using the 48" Nova Extreme Pro 6x54 for a couple months now without any problems. I ordered it refurbished directly from Current off of E-bay for $250.00... It's not top of the line by any means, but at that price it's a steal. It comes with bulbs and has cooling fans as well.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Catalina (as everyone has heard me say over and over and...) is a VERY good light for the money. With that being said.... when the tank is 25" deep that's asking a LOT from a T5 bulb and if you're really wanting to push the light down that deep you'll want a higher-end unit preferably with Over-Driven ballast.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Catalina (as everyone has heard me say over and over and...) is a VERY good light for the money. With that being said.... when the tank is 25" deep that's asking a LOT from a T5 bulb and if you're really wanting to push the light down that deep you'll want a higher-end unit preferably with Over-Driven ballast.

I agree with Al on both points. I like Catalina; and the tank is too deep for regular T5s. I would overdrive the bulbs with Icecap ballasts. Reefgeek has nice retro kits for this, and the Aquactinics Solar Flare is the only factory fixture I am aware of that has the 660 ballast.

Light strength from T5 drops off like going over a cliff just around 18"-20"

Frankie

RS STAFF
Catalina lighting is another good lighting system. I have seen many awesome tanks with them.

OHreefer

I have a Catalina and it seems cheaply constructed. The two switches keep popping out of their place. I just replaced the bulbs, and only the actinics turn on. The other 2 daylight bulbs don't work. I'm not sure why this is the case. I switched the positioning and it still doesn't work. I'll have to survive with it now and fortunately I have softies, and am looking at getting a new T5. I can no longer recommend it anymore. This is the first time I changed the bulbs and there are issues.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
OHreefer have you tried putting the old bulbs back in? There are only a few things that could be wrong bulbs, ballast, loose connection should be an easy fix.

JWarren

I have the same fixture as Midnight over my 100 gallon and it works great. This unit has two workhorse 7 ballasts. Right now I have 4 UV super actinic, 2 UV white actinic and 2 UV aquasun bulbs in the fixture. I am going to get a set of ATI bulbs and try them out.

I have softies and a couple of monti's and one purple tip acro right now. Everyone is happy so far. I got my TEK light from AquaCave.com Good luck!

OHreefer

No, the old bulbs totally burned out :-( At least the 10K bulbs did. The new actinics work, but not the new 10K :-/ I need to try something before I buy a new light fixture. I'll check the connections again. Should it matter what order I put the bulbs in?

OHreefer

Could it be that I put the wrong bulbs in Eric? The two actinics and two 10K bulbs were both from the same company. I bought them at a local petshop. I would have ordered the but I freaked out because the bulbs burned out and I didn't want to leave the tank in the dark. They're manufactured by Zoomed and they're Coral Sun Actinic 420 and Ocean Sun 10,000K. It says that they should work in light fixtures as long as they're T5, which they are. What else should I check?