Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 2. ASM G-3 in sump, running on a sedra 5000 needle wheel pump, or

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • 3. sell both and upgrade

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

prow

hello again:).

tell me what you would do. this is for a 180gal clam tank. there will be a sump 50-60gal(geussing). both are rated about the same. one is external only and the other is in sump only. one is a downdraft and the other is a needle wheel.

Frankie

RS STAFF
After having my local reef geek built my reactor custom to fit my aquarium needs, I have to say that is the only way i will ever go again. This thing is easy to set up and adjust. He took ideas from other "store bought " designs and improved them to function flawlessly. If you would like Prow, I will take some pictures of it for you and give you his number. Cost was fair also.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
clam tank huh, I dont see where a killer skimmer would fit in, the g3 seems very reliable, will you be maintaining a nitrate level or shooting for 0 ?. Steve

DaveK

I'd use the ETSS 600. I would consider it to be the more aggressive skimmer, and it's external. More plumbing is needed, but if done correctly, it also makes the skimmer easy to remove and clean.

The Asm G3 would also be fine.

I don't think you would need anything larger.

mps9506

I'm a fan of needlewheel skimmers just because of the simplicity and ability to use a relatively low power pumps. I haven't used ASM as I'm kind of a euro-reef fan boy, but they both have relatively the same performance and I've always been happy with the ability to set my skimate really wet easily and have not had any desire to have a more powerful skimmer.

I would figure out what would fit for you as far as the plumbing and internal or extrnal setup and go from there.

Frankie

RS STAFF
clam tank = FEED ME!!! Frankie how is the effluent for ph? is it recirculating??
Over two weeks now and the effluent is 6.5 tank 8.2
I did need to use seachem calcium to get the tank stable with ca++ at 460. I am pleased!

prow

thanks guys. glad your reactor is working out for ya frankie, i might be looking to up grade my mine, before i buy/build a new one i will try this one and see how it does:)

sasquatch, i think i will be keeping NO2 at <5 but not 0.

i have to room to plumb the ETSS and run the ASM if i wanted, no worries on room. i am starting to think its coming down to the pumps. both run about the same wattage. the difference i see is the heat produced by the in sump sedra pump(ASM) vs the noise produced by the external iwaki pump(ETSS). at first i was leaning toward the ESTT cause less heat produced. now i am leaning toward the ASM cause might be alot quieter. maybe i should i hook both up to my current system and listen, lol.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have the sedra you recommended to me on a nautilus. It is very quiet. You could mix and match maybe? My next DIY project to this skimmer is a diffusion plate.

prow

yeah i must say the sedra's are nice and quiet. i think thats more of a factor for me, i know both pumps are very reliable. i also realize the needle wheel is way more advanced, technology wise, when compared to downdraft skimmers. better or not i have no idea. but i think i am talking myself into the ASM, with a little help from my friends here, thanks again guys/girls i feel i am close to making a decision.

boozeman

you know I'm gonna say BK :D

but...depending on budget, skimmers from ASM, Deltec and reefflo/orca should be given consideration

prow

thanks booze i just love the BK's. if i do need to buy one it will a BK or a ATI bubble master, deltec would be in there but its hard to find, kinda want something that easier to get parts for if needed. i am hoping to get away with one of these though. one decision i have made is i will use one of these and upgrade later if needed, just thinking the clams are going to help.