Which Fixture? 8x 54W T5s, or 2x 150W MH/ 2x 96W PC?

Should I have a Nova Extreme 8 bulb 54W T5 48" fixture or an Current Outer Orbit 2x 150 MH/ 2x 96W PC 48" fixture?

Tank is 24" deep, Mixed reef setup

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have a 6x54 nova extreme pro on my tank it works great but as we all know your never satisfied. I'm currently saving towards Apollo Leds so I will have to recant my previous statement and go with Blade. Go bigger!

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
We're all going to have our preferences but I would go with the T5's, but I wouldn't look forward to bulb replacement time.

Alien2100

My question would be why these two exact light fixtures, cost, size or aesthetics? And maybe ask yourself if you prefer the shimmer effect that MH's and LED's have or just the glow of florescent's like T5's.

Personally, I have two different tanks set up, a small 30gal tall with 4x24w T5's and a larger 90gal corner with 1x250w MH. And while I like the look of both tanks, I prefer the shimmer that the MH's give my 90gal tank, it's just a more natural look in my opinion. I mainly run the 30gal tank with T5's to keep the heat down, that and MH's would be too bright for the tank and the room it's in. I will say I've always had problems growing anything in the 30gal tank, because of this it's always been a FOWLR tank. However, I do not believe this is do to the lights in anyway. But, being that it is a FOWLR tank I can't give an honest opinion of growth in a mixed reef tank with T5's. But, I can tell you my 90gal supports everything, including my SPS's without any problems. However, this was not always the case. I originally had a single 150w MH with 2x65 PC's on this tank. And while I could grow just about any soft coral or LPS. I could not grow higher light demanding SPS's bellow 10" of water depth, even with the light fixture being only 6" above the water. This setup also produced a lot of heat, forcing me to add multiply fans to cool the tank properly. I eventually changed everything out for a single 250w MH with LED moon lighting, and have zero problems with heat (Pendant Light 16" above water) and have excellent growth in all my corals.

That being said if you go with the "Current Outer Orbit 2x 150 MH/ 2x 96W PC 48 fixture" you might not be able to grow higher light demanding SPS at any real depth in the tank. Also you'll have the added problem of heat to deal with. Being that 150w MH's don't have all that much light penetration you'll have to mount the fixture around 6" or so above the water surface, and this will create more heat. In addition the added heat of the 150w MH's quickens the failure rate of the components in the housing, (like the ballast for the PC's). Add to that, PC's are an older bulb design and most manufactures have gotten away from them in favor of T5's, this could limit your selection of replacement bulbs down the road. I'm not saying the "Nova Extreme 8 bulb 54W T5 48" fixture" is the better choice, I just don't have enough experience with T5's in a reef tank to give you an honest opinion of that. However, I would steer clear of the "Current Outer Orbit 2x 150 MH/ 2x 96W PC 48" fixture"

Instead, if it were my tank I'd look at a set of selectable ballast like the the Lumatek's or Coralvue's with a set of reflectors like the Lumen Max's or Coralvue's. This would allow your lighting to grow with your tank needs. Start with 150w bulbs then when the tanks ready move to 175w or 250w with only the cost of the bulbs. Much better system in my opinion, the only real down side being the larger size of the reflectors. Then go with a set of Reef Brite's moonlights for your night lighting. That would be my pick.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd avoid the Out Orbit unit for a couple of reasons:

A) Stay away from PC bulbs especially for sure a deep tank.

B) The T5 option allows you to completely tweak the tank to whatever color you like and 8*54W is a lot of light and you'll be able to do a lot.

C) Would you consider another option ?
48" BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 8 X 54 WATT + ML
$550.00

I ran a CA fixture for 5 years and it never missed a beat. I still have it I just don't have the tank it was over.