• Marine Environment 2 part

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • Bio-Sea

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Other (please specify below...)

Votes: 56 8.1%

• Total voters

F355GTB

I use Kent for large water changes. But I also keep a 5 gal. "box" of Catalina Water Co. NSW for my bi or tri weekly changes in my 10 gal. nano.

John

addict

Isn't Reef Crystals just basic IO with a dechlorinator added? I thought I had read that somewhere...

Anyway, I've been using Coralife salt since I started my tank about a year ago, primarily because it was the one the LFS sells in 200 gallon buckets. I've since discovered that Coralife has high levels of silicates (and I'm battling diatoms) so I plan on switching over to IO once I'm through this bucket (got about a bag-and-a-half to go).
It looks like IO is pretty much winning this poll hands down.

TDEVIL

i have and still use IO, always have;)

PS, i now test the new batch before adding to the tank, actually before taking water out of the tank:rolleyes:

TD

joe@inreef

Sponsor
I use bio-sea, with no problems. I have been using it for two years. I mainly use this salt as we get it for 18.75 for 150 gallons. I have also used IO, Kent, Tropic Marin and Reef Crystals, all with no problems. Most local places sell the other salts for about 45.00 per 200 gallons.

DuhJeepster

I use IO, but I noticed while working at a LFS that Coralife Sea Salt dissolves a little quicker than IO. Anybody with the same opinion?

Not trying to open a can worms or anything . . . :)

:rolleyes: :)

Playa I thought we could get busted by the Fish & Wildlife Service for taking ocean water. I know you can't remove sand because of beach erosion. Maybe it's a local Jacksonville thing or something.

I use Red Sea because it is available in bulk at my prefered Marine Store. You have to bring your own buckets but it is much cheaper. It seems to be doing the trick---if it at broke don't fix it!

Brucey

CoralLife .... only because my LFS Owner buys it in bulk and sells it under his own label ..... and so he buys it in bulk for me too which works out really cheep (£80 for 40K).
Brucey

mwrager

I picked Other because I use Marinemix Professional. One thing I like about it, last weekend I made a 30gal batch, I then tested it, recorded the results, every thing was good. I used up all my salt on that batch. I went out and bought some more. Mixed it up, checked it out and it matched the batch I made last weekend from a different batch of salt. So why I like it is it is constant.

cleartank

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
Same here on the Marine Environment Part 2 Salt! Certainly gives you iece of mind, eh?

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Everything about Marine Environment salt looks & sounds good until I mix it up with RO/DI water; then using a Salifert kit I pickup a Phosphate reading which I don't on IO or CS; then of course getting a green algae bloom. What has your experience been?

cleartank

Originally posted by Craig Manoukian
No algae in my tank! I use plain old tap water too boot!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

We have very good tap water here in WA but it still has some impurities in it; no algae in my tanks either. Have you done Phosphate testing on water and salt? I really think ME has a problem that needs verifying as a bad batch or just simply a substandard salt; the fact that hardly anyone uses it doesn't weigh in its favor too well; are you up for that level?

Craig Manoukian

I've used ME2 for over a year with no problems. No PO4 test or TDS meter. I had a pretty bad cyano outbreak when I used 75 gallons of IO because I didn't plan my ME2 salt delivery very well. Went back to ME2 and cyano cleared up.

HTH CT:) ;) :p :smirk:

ScottT1980

I am currently thinking about making the switch from IO although I am not really sure where I want to go. IO is great in that it is readily available and cheap but it just does not appear to give me good calcium levels.

Any thoughts and where I should go?