Where did my clam go?

Seagars

all is left is the clam shell. what happened???
i had a beautiful blue clam that i just found that his shell is completely empty. i had the clam for some 6 months or so and had been doing great. is this something i could replace or is my tank just not suitable due to the inhabitants?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It was most likely "cleaned" by your Clean Up Crew. They are usually first on the scene but very rarely "Cause" the scene but they get the wrap usually.

As to "why" it could be many MANY things. The best you can do is do a complete set of tests to make sure nothing is out of whack and then guess from there.

If you kept it for 6 months then your system can likely support a clam. Just make sure you have top-notch water and good lights. I don't see any reason not to get another clam. I'd try to figure out the cause first, though.

Seagars

k. everything else seems to be doing great. Fish and Corals!!!
which metric seems to have the most impact on clams?

steved13

PREMIUM
Any recent pics before the demise? We might be able to see if something was out of whack before hand, also might tell us for sure if it was happy or just surviving, as far as whether to get another..

+1 on the rest, something happened and the CUC went to town doing what you pay their job.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
lots of good advise from everyone above...

Seagars has a pretty new tank (RSM 650 - 175 gallon) it has... 10 80watt T5s 800w sure the lights will support his clam

red-sea-max-500-specification.png

Andy

i love those tanks not cheap tho! have u added any additions to your CUC recently? Some snails are roumered to kill clams like a butterscotch snail and once it has been attacked and is on its way out other members snails hermits ect will have finished it off. what did you supplement feed it or is your aquarium a mature tank?