What's going on with my zoas?

reefeditor

My zoa colony seems to be ailing. Can anybody give me insight as to what is causing this to spread? The affected zoas are thin and wispy, and have taken on a grey, almost camouflage appearance.
IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_5628.jpg

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
need more info, Lighting ? have you checked for, and have any risk for introduction of Zoa eating nudi's?

reefeditor

I have 27 3 watt cree leds in a Red Sea Max 130D. 14 blue and 13 white. Zoas are positioned at top of tank and have plenty of light. I have looked at the pinned post about zoas, and don't see anything that may indicate nudibranch infestation.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
they may be getting too much light. Try lower down in the tank. Hows the flow? My zoa's like moderat flow to low flow.

reefeditor

Yes they are close to the circulation pump outlets. Moderately high flow. I lower them in the tank. Thanks for the advice!

lzrlvr

hi they may be acclimating themselves to your system. they do not look bad it almost looks like they may be feeding.i see your other zoas above and they look fine.do not panic observe them give them some time they may comeback just fine.i have had corals close, open and shrink only to recover with no problem and after some time observing your corals you can become accustomed to thier behavior.

Lzrlvr, I agree. Many corals go through many fazes depending on what is going on with them. However for the most part if you do things properly they will just about always come back to their vibrant nature.

Oh just got the pictures. I believe that is what they are supposed to look like. I would just bring them down away from too much light if you notice them greying or transparent meaning they are growing at an extremely fast rate and expelling their zoo in order to cope. Be careful not too bleach them, I would bring them down quickly if you notice this but in the pi they look fine.

reefeditor

Thank you. Yes, they are transparent, and the ones on the side of liverock, the small group of them, grew spontaneously.