What type of anemone is this?

rebekwl

I've had this little guy in my tank for a little bit and was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of anemone it is. It's about the size of a penny when fully open and I think it's really pretty. I'm hoping it will thrive in my tank, as long as it's not bad in some way. Thanks!

Sorry, the pics aren't the best. It is green with bright pink tips.

Attachments

• 7-9-07 004.jpg
    7-9-07 004.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 7-9-07 005.jpg
    7-9-07 005.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 127

blue_eyes53813

Yikes, Its a majano,,, It has a powerful sting like an aptasia.. And the green bubble algae behind it is also very bad.. I would pull the rock out and get both off.. Get under the bubble algae with something thin and pop it off the rock with out breaking them open.. Rinse the rock very well in a seperate container... Make sure you scrub both off the rock really well.

blue_eyes53813

I forgot to mention the majano isnt as bad as the green bubble algae. The Bubbles spread like CRAZY.. You could if you wanted to leave the majano and wach it to make sure it doesnt spread or sting something.. If it was my tank I would get rid of it.

rebekwl

Thanks, bummer that it's a bad one, I was hoping for the opposite. I have been trying to get all of the bubble algae out of my tank. I didn't notice how bad it was on that rock before I took that pic, YIKES! I got some rocks and colrals from a fellow reefer and unfortunately that's where the bubble algae came from, as well as the anemone. It hasn't spread to any of my other rocks, YET. I spent some time on Saturday plucking some off of my LPS and rocks, looks like I have more work ahead of me! Thanks a lot!

We posted at the same time, haha. I may leave the majano and hope it doesn't spread. I know if it were aiptasia I would get rid of it though. I'll have to think about it.

goldenmean

I had a majano early in my tanks development.
I kept him for several months and He split once so I had two.
They would move around a little bit too.
They do not spread like wildfire like aiptasia.
However I did eventually get rid of them.

rebekwl

I had a majano early in my tanks development.
I kept him for several months and He split once so I had two.
They would move around a little bit too.
They do not spread like wildfire like aiptasia.
However I did eventually get rid of them.

I'll have to see if this guy decides to split. If so I will probably consider getting it out. I think it's pretty though, so until it wreaks havoc, it will stay.

Thanks!

Frankie

RS STAFF
You could also just pull the rock and boil it. I just did that to a rock that had aiptasia on it. killed everything else on the rock to but i have 208lbs of rock so i am not to upset and glad to be rid of the pest.

jg2269jg

I have found that there is only one thing that l hold completely true in my reef that is "If it can do harm it probably will eventually" I have found that out the hard way i would nuke it out of existence and then call it a day

rebekwl

Thanks for the tip Ffrankie! It's a pretty small rock so I wouldn't lose much bio-load at all, and I'm sure it would become live again in no time! Thanks!

Thanks jg2269jg, looks like we posted at the same time. I'll more than likely end up getting rid of it, thanks!

coppycatt

I believe it is also called a Tulip Anemone. They may be a type of Majano, I'm not really sure. I have a dozen in my tank. I tried getting rid of them before but I have had no luck so far. A few of them have grown right in the middle of a few zoanthid colonies and have caused no problem there. Their sting couldn't be very strong.