What to use for a sump

Rhodes19

Hi All,

I am looking for what others are using for sumps. I have a 55g I can use for my 180 build but I have been told I need to go bigger. A 75g would work but I don't have one and was thinking of using something other than an aquarium. I like the Rubbermaid stock tanks but they won't fit under the stand (68x22x36). I would like to keep it no taller than 20" if posible. I thought of doing a remote sump but the location does not lend itself to that. Thanks.

Chris

r2d2

I've heard some keeps their sumps in room next to aquariums as laundery, garage, etc. Piping is more complicated but possible.
I know talking about water volume "bigger is better" but think a 55gal is enough as a sump. You can have a lot of space for skimmer, a large refugium, and a decent return chamber (mine is to small and need to refil evaporated water every day).
Greetings

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can see where you could WANT bigger but I also agree that 55g can make a fine sump. More can be better but if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. I say go 55 and enjoy it :)

Jeremy0322

Yea, I dont see many issues coming your way if you use the 55 gallon for a sump. Its big enough to make a difference with water volume and hold all your equipment.

I dont think the whole "non aquarium" question was answered yet so I will go for that one too. You can use pretty much anything that will SAFELY hold water and not leech anything into the water column, so most metals are out. Alot of rubbermaid containers though are good. How much space do you have for a sump?

Rhodes19

Hi All,

Thanks for your answers. I trust you guys more than I do the person who gave me the advice. I'll stick to the 55 then. Now, I need to find a glass hole cutter! :D

Jeremy,

The inside diameters are 68x22x36 inches. I found a 100g rubbemaid stock tank for $68 and the cheepest used 75g aquarium I could find locally was $120. I figured it would be easier to cut into non glass easier then glass. Unfortunatly, the stock tank was way to big.

Thanks again.

Chris

they do have 40 gal stock tanks at orschlens and such i got one a couple weeks ago for 27 bucks. i also got a 75 gallon tank from petco for FREE!!!!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The only problem I see with a 55 is its width. Could limit you with the footprint of your skimmer. Other than that should be great.

Rhodes19

The only problem I see with a 55 is its width. Could limit you with the footprint of your skimmer. Other than that should be great.

Hi Clownfish,

Yeah, I thought of that but haven't looked at skimmers yet. I was thinking of making one myself. The inside width is 12" (just measured it for baffles) and I was planning on a lenght of 12" as well. If I can't make or buy a skimmer to fit then I'll just make/buy an external one. I already have the 55 drilled and am hoping to get time to silicone the baffles in this weekend. :)

Hi All,

I found a 100g rubbemaid stock tank for $68 and the cheepest used 75g aquarium I could find locally was $120.

Thanks again.

Chris

Well If the 75 is All-Glass Aquarium then the price $120 for it use, well if it's for the tank by itself I have to say add 5-7 dollars more and by a new All-Glass Aquarium. Mine cost $119.99 before taxes brand new.

seafansar

I use a 55 gallon under my 150 gallon. Works fine for me. But I'm not sure if you can drill a 55. I've heard multiple times that they are tempered on all sides for some reason. There is a website (I of course forgot the name of it) that will let you know if your 55 is tempered or not.

Rhodes19

I use a 55 gallon under my 150 gallon. Works fine for me. But I'm not sure if you can drill a 55. I've heard multiple times that they are tempered on all sides for some reason. There is a website (I of course forgot the name of it) that will let you know if your 55 is tempered or not.

Hi Sara,

I drilled mine the other week and turned out good. I checked to see if it was tempered with polorized sun glasses and with my daughter's lap top screen. No funny color changes so I went for it. From what I have read, I think most tanks only have a tempered bottom.

55gsumpdrilled.jpg

55gsumpdrilledwbulk.jpg

55gsumpbulk.jpg

I was going to put the baffles in over the weekend but couldn't get to it. Maybe next weekend. :)

seafansar

That's cool. I wish I had drilled mine. Unfortunately, I can't get the sump out of the stand now unless I drain the tank and pull it away from the wall to get the 55 out. And good job with drilling it! It's always so nerve wrecking to drill a tank!

Rhodes19

Thanks Sara. Yeah, it had its moments when I first started, but after the initial grove in the glass started, it went pretty smoothly. :)

well I know if i decide to go with external pump on my sump, I'll drill my 55g sump/fuge.

Your sump is looking good Rhodes. What size bulkhead are you using in that pic?

That's cool. I wish I had drilled mine. Unfortunately, I can't get the sump out of the stand now unless I drain the tank and pull it away from the wall to get the 55 out. And good job with drilling it! It's always so nerve wrecking to drill a tank!

That's why I'm building my stand so that the 55 sump can be remove from the side of the stand. I figure it would make it allot more easier on me if I had to ever remove the sump for some reason.

Rhodes19

well I know if i decide to go with external pump on my sump, I'll drill my 55g sump/fuge.

Your sump is looking good Rhodes. What size bulkhead are you using in that pic?

Thanks. The bulkhead is for an 1 1/2". I figured the size of the bulkhead would be the restricting factor so I made it bigger if I ever want to go bigger with the pump.

Rhodes19

That's why I'm building my stand so that the 55 sump can be remove from the side of the stand. I figure it would make it allot more easier on me if I had to ever remove the sump for some reason.

When I built my stand I planned on being able to remove the center support so I could remove/replace the sump. Now that it is built, I really don't want to have to mess with it. Fortunatly, I built the stand with the 55 in mind.

robaman

hey what kind of material are you using for your baffles glass or arcylic or what is the best material to use. i am looking to turn my 40 gallon into a sump for my 100 gallon tank i just bought over the weekend. any ideas will be helpful thanks

Frankie

RS STAFF
Most people use cast acrylic for the baffles. I must say, if you can get the glass it would be a better job and last longer.