What the hell is this thing?!!!!

Rheg915

Hi all, I have a RSM 130 which I have extensively modified. Have a lot of corals in the tank, and I walk by at night and I see this DAMN SEA MONSTER in my tank. I think I remember months ago reading about some nasty thing that this look a hell of a lot like. I got lucky because I snagged it and threw it on the floor. It shrunk to a third of his size outside the water. Needless to say, he is outside in the Minnesota Snow right now. I have 5 fishes, SPS, LPS and a clam in the tank. I will post pics of those soon, but this was on my Zoanthid. What the hell is it, and are there more of them? I have not gotten new rock or coral in like 5 months.

I think it is hermodice carunculata. Anyone have experience with it?

caruncle_.jpg

closeup.jpg

closeup4.jpg

closeup3.jpg

closeup2.jpg

Here are some pics.

Thanks

Rheg915

Update:

Just found another one hiding under a rock, this is either a fire or bristle worm. I am really worried about this.

RSM250PEARL

Looks like a bristle worm to me. It's a scavenger and won't harm anything from my experience. Although I have heard that you should remove really big ones. Hope that helps.

RSM250PEARL

Is that when it's shrivelled up? I took one out of an old tank before and it was about 8" in the bucket. I left it and came back to find it had stretched out to more than a foot and a half. But I don't know how big is too big when it comes to these worms. I'm just glad I got it out and there was no way he was going back in even if he was "safe" theyre nasty looking things right?! lol

Rheg915

DEFINITELY WILL NOT!!! If this is a fireworm, they are atleast 6 inches, does anything eat them? I am afraid they are like rats, see one, there are 10 you don't see.

redsea reefer

I don't think there is anything that eats Fireworms, Your best bet is to manually remove them when you see it. You could also try a worm trap with Mysis in it, although, they primarily prey on coral.

reeferman

oh yeah,ive got a 12-14" bw in my tank and its a great part of the cuc.its not a fireworm though.mine looks identical to pics 3 and 5.

Mischko

Usually you don't have to worry about those greyish/pinkish ones though they get big/long. They look nasty, I admit, sort of creepy and unhealthy somehow, but as stated before, they are scavengers, clean up up the tank feeding on lots of dead stuff. Usually you will have a healthy bristle worm population. You should start being abit worried if you see a lot of them crawling around in your tank at day light though! Then something is wrong.
And since I am such a nice person, here is an interesting link for you folks to creep you out. I think it was posted here before.
Good way to keep the bristle worm population down is to have one of those in your tank. A Mitra mitra, look nice, too.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
they get back in the rock where food floats, where snails can't reach - they tend to self regulate... if you have lots of big ones... you are most likely overfeeding - most tanks have some - good members of cuc - cheers !

Mischko

But, but , but, the look so ugly and creepy LOL. I think, from what I read and heard, as long as they are not black, they are safe to keep!

fish101

nice bristleworm, if it is large. get rid of it if there large. they'll eat anything and i mean ANYTHING(includes YOU).

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If Reggie has identical ones... and says they are safe... I would feel pretty confident, but I still would try to to touch um ... Cheers !

Rheg915

Do these things eat algae? Because I have an algae bloom for the past month that is finally getting under control. I dont feed much at all though, only 2 cubes, 3-4 a week for 5 fish.

Don't understand how I have 2 of these monsters.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
They came in your LR or possibly on a rock that had a coral on it ... I don't think they eat alage

Do you have a 130 or a 250? 2 cubes, 3-4 a week - quite a bit... for a 130