what settings for redsea max 130 led tank

dukefame

Several months back I retro'd my seamax 130 tank with an led package.
I am using an Ardunio controller.
My question pertains to what the correct light intensity should be and also the correct color temp.
My tank contains both LPS and SPS critters.
So far, I have been "eyeballing" it, comparing the color texture and intensity to tanks at my LFS.

I currently have a "stock" kit of 14 royal blue and 13 cool white LED's.
I have considered spending for a PAR meter, but as this is a kit, I figure somebody else must be
dealing with the same issues?!
Anybody with a similar system experimenting with different color LED's?

reefer gladness

It's not as standard as you might think. There are several variables involved that make it near impossible for one of us to say "put this one at 30% and the other at 45% and you will have xxx PAR and yyy color temp.

Color temp is largely a matter of personal taste, just like the knobs on your stereo I don't think anyone can tell you what is 'correct'. My advice is to adjust for color temp to suit your taste and use a PAR meter to adjust overall PAR levels.

If a PAR meter isn't in your budget just keep in mind that your human eyes do not see light the same way a photosynthetic organism does. Without going into a long scientific explanations suffice to say that if you guesstimated the LED settings to approximate the stock PC lighting there's a good chance the PAR is actually much higher than the PC lighting. When in doubt start off very low and increase slowly every week or two while observing how your corals react.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

great advise ^ I don't have leds, but ramping up slowly & letting your corals give you feedback seems like a good idea.

I would guess watts would play a part too... see what others think...

in the RSM club here on RS there are a bunch of members running them...

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have! :swmfish:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS!

You've been given some great advice above.

One thing to remember is the only way someone can give you any realistic advice on settings for your LED would be for them to have the exact same set-up and controller as you. Even a slight change in configuration can make a huge difference in not only "temperature" of the light but also in PAR.

I've been running LED over my RSM 130D for a few years now and wouldn't have it any other way.