what light do I need?

TEXAS

I just bought a 16"x16"x6" frag tank and wondering what light do I really need to grow some nice coral frags?

Snid

I don't have the answer, but I'll ask you the question I know anyone else responding will want to ask...

What types of corals?

sirrealism

Just about any light system will grow those corals. Leds, MH, T5, PC, T12VHO, heck is you could find the right color you could use T8 but never seem t find the right color spec inT8s

sirrealism

If your using a bulb type like T5s MH t12vhos just make sure to put new bulbs in. I would probable be on CL looking for a used light then buying new bulbs

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi TEXAS and welcome to RS! Great advice above, for those easy corals pretty much any light mentioned will do.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Howdy TEX :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Sounds like a very shallow frag tank, Would love to see a picture when you get it filled!
As far as the lighting, I'd suggest getting an LED that's adjustable.
Do you have a display tank up & running? Tell us more about your SW experience.
I've never done a frag tank....but now that most of my corals need fragging, it might have to happen :yup:
Glad you joined in & hope to see more posts & PICTURES :D
Very BEST WISHES....:biker
(Oh & BOOMER SOONER!! LOL!! ;) )

sirrealism

Sorry about that Texas. Welcome to the addiction. I did not notice it was your first post. yes please post some pics of it. I have a frag tank also and I use LEDs but i am thinking very much about going back to MH.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Some good advise above...

Coralz

I would say Leds work well... My like i'm sure most in here start off small then build up later lol.
Check out Par 38 with a goose neck maybe.

Crazyeyes

Ohhhhhhhhh, I really like that size tank. One of the reef breeders value lights aka evergrow d120 would do just fine over that tank with softies, lps and zoas. Actually that light would more than enough even for the most light demanding SPS in that tank.

TEXAS

Thanks for all the help everyone... I think I'm going to go with the evergrow d120 I'll try to post some pictures of my 60 gallon tank and some of the frag tank when I get it going... thanks again everyone

TEXAS

Ended up going with the 165w led light... I'll post some pictures when I get everything set up and going.. I really like this light that it's dimmable. fans are super quiet.. only time will tell how well the frags will grow. been buying some for REAL cheap (more than 80% off) from the lfs that wasn't having much luck selling and keeping..