• T. crocea

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • t. maxima

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris&barb

Based on this photograph, what kind of clam would you say this is?

clammy_mod_.jpg

i only read a few posts down but i can tell you with out any doubt it is 100% crocea:wave:

kyrie_eleison

Has been struck by the ban stick
My clam (a crocea) arrived bleached but has since recovered. Hope your clamy does the same.

yeah...it's bleached. Been bleached for the last year or so. I kind of like the bleached blue colour so I thought I'd leave it. Same with my zoas. I like the bleached colours of the zoas also so I thought I'd leave them bleached too. The same goes for my all my fish. I sort of liked the bleached colours of my fish so I thought I'd leave them that same way also. Oh...I almost forgot all my live rock. I kind of liked them all bleached so I left them bleached too.

:whstlr:

chris&barb

ok i read a little more down now.

first i agree that the best way to ID clams is by looking at the shell but there are ways to differentiate between the species by looking at the mantle.

first Croceas have the largest mantels (proportionate to the over size of the clam) of all the clams.

secondly, the proportions of the mantle. croceas typical have small central mantles and large mantle "flaps" (for lack of a better term) where Derasa' have a wide central mantel.

mantel pattern/color is also something that can play a role especially when we are dealing with cultured/collected clams for the hobby.

this is a typical cultured derasa (you wont find any wild one for sale, if you do let me know, if someones selling one as "wild" there lying :))

derasa014ar.jpg

croceas are cultured but 99% of all the croceas for sale to us are wild and they look like this

img13392ix.jpg

sorry to cross post folks but if you want to know how to ID clams correctly read this

Clams Direct :: View topic - Tridacnid clam ID made easy

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I just dont understand how this went from Scott trying to be helpful and sharing a bit of knowledge, to being chastised. I know I would appreciate that kind of attention to my tank and I really hope that nobody gets the idea that "HELPING" is a bad thing, share the knowledge and we all grow, Karma for you Scott as soon as I can give it to you again, and Hey! NICE CALL! Steve

reefjitsu

I know I would appreciate that kind of attention to my tank and I really hope that nobody gets the idea that "HELPING" is a bad thing, share the knowledge and we all grow, Karma for you Scott as soon as I can give it to you again, and Hey! NICE CALL! Steve

I quite agree. I often feel that comments are held back to avoid tramping on feelings or getting a defensive reaction. How many times do we see tanks that or overstocked or otherwise inadequate and nobody says anything for fear of offending. I make those unpopular comments, but few others do. And, I do it in the interest of helping that person, not to be a jerk. If I am wrong, then tell my why and we'll move on.

As for the clam, I guess we will never know what it was for sure. It seems somebody has taken their ball and gone home. Oh well, so much for amicable endings.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Kyrie_eleison has decided to leave and delete all of his pictures. Here is the picture that he is so completely certain is a derasa clam. This picture is the subject of this poll and thread.

clammy_mod_.jpg

GeeWizzItsMe

It doesn't matter about the shell or the bottom anymore; IT IS A CROCEA! lol derasas look much different to me, and people say you can't be completely sure without more evidence, but you can probably be 90% sure after reading the nice links posted like I did!

BEELZEBOB

right?

i mean here i be sittin around all young and arrogant, and even in my limited mindframe i could clearly get the picture :lol:

Dentoid was just kinda like hey, i dont think thats what you say it is...

which is no more than a polite suggestion that a lil more research may be in order...

as i told the dentite, ever since i started posting, hes been helpful and kind and positivly contributing to the site almost every post.

so i mean to see someone suddenly lash out and discredit all that was offered as advice, and personally attack the Dent, i felt like i had to fill my nich with the immature impulse banter. oh yea

also, i voted maxima to throw the curve.:lol:

but whats the gig everybody!?!? there all sorts of like beef goin on everywhen and where! i mean if y'all should be annoyed with anybody...:wave:

look, i love this place. this site is both imformative and fun. (like disecting something..)

and ill tell ya strait, what makes this place so freggin fantastic, is y'all.
i dont know about the rest of you, but i participate with 4 other online reef forums other than RS. but i sure dont have 1000+ post combined in all the others. this is a great community. and YOU (imagine one of those uncle sam posters ... here.) make it that way. this is a great collection of people from all over the world. (theres french, italians, germans, brits, south, central, and north americans, that one dudes from egypt, the squatch in canada) and i want to belive that we were all attracted to this particular forum over others for the same reason...

eachother. y'all all freggin chill man. good people. im proud to associate w/you on a daily basis and stuff.

we are all here to help. no one single person will attack you and make fun at your expense. this is a place for help, advice, and the advancement of the hobby. its not 9th grade (and this is coming from the most immature member, not youngest, immaturist)

so buck up fellow members! its all love and good gravey!

you should thank people like Dentoid, woodstock, bigal, whitfull, travis, shkjack (i know i mussed it up), lestorc, and so many others i cant even begin to name, (but start with the red ones)

because each member of this site can help to inlighten, inspire, console and just strait up help everybody else. and thats what i want to be here to do.

oh crap, y'all just saw my inner hippie.....:smirk:

XBwlr

I was asking because the only clams I have are 2 croceas.
I'd like to see what others have... not just pictures of the mantles.
I'm not interested in the pics that you see on fancy websites, they usually post only the best specimens... most hobby reefers don't have perfect specimens.

Gees.
This is ridiculous.

DrHank

Gee. I'm glad I don't know anything about clams other than they are great steamed with a pitcher of beer!

reefman420

lol. i agree with bob.grow up.lol This is the only forum i belong to..why because its like a family here. i love all of you guys...

Techno-Vicki

I agree, I came here to get away from this type of posting. We're all friends and on the same team heading for the same goal. Now please kiss and make up or someones getting a spanking!

So did I. This is an amazing site with very caring supportive people. Remember what I said about Karma. It does help. thank you key people who are always there to support anyone with a question or concern in a very positive way. You are awesome!!!!! I don't want to list you all because I know I will leave someone out and feel badly later. You know who you are:snshne:

tbittner

I agree too. And this is the first time I've seen such an "attack" on a member, let alone a really great guy like Scott!

And whats WRONG with being a Virginian???
:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.