What is this on my clown fish ??? help plizz

tiagomadaleno

hello there this is my very first post and i am crying for help for someone who can tell me what this is... the pet store guy said it was ich so i started the treatment but now its getting dark... is this normal or is it getting worse ??
all the other fish are still ok...
any tips of what i should or shouldnt do ?

i have a 55gal tank

thank you.

Last edited:

leebca

Without microscopic examination of scrapings, clippings, etc. and the growth of this off of the fish, determining what it actually is isn't possible.

My first two guesses would be an opportunistic bacterial or fungal type infection. If this is a fish that has been in captivity for a long time, then fish was not properly fed, maintained and in a proper environment. Thus the cause could still be there. If this is a new fish, it may have come with it.

I'd move the fish to a hospital/quarantine tank and start with a double antibiotic attack. But the fish should be fed properly, with vitamin and fat supplements and immune boosters. Check both of these out:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...eeding-marine-fish-marine-fish-nutrition.html
and
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../23069-different-forms-marine-fish-foods.html

I recommend using Furan-2 which contains three ingredients, two of which are antibiotics that fight a wide range of pathogens. It is a 'generic' or a 'shot gun' approach to what I see.

If you have at hand a vet that knows fish conditions that can help, I would go to him/her. If there is a university, college, or vet school nearby that has one or more departments that can help with ornamental marine fish diseases, go to them to identify what this is and how to treat it. Otherwise, use what I've suggested above.

:)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No I wouldn't venture to guess what it is but I would venture to say with some degree of certainty the primary problem isn't/wasn't ICH... it's possible that due to whatever the primary illness is that ICH can become a problem.

Follow Lee's advice and hang in there. Hopefully it's not too late and the suggested course of action will turn things around.

tiagomadaleno

thank you all for your tips and advices, but before i could do anything, i found him dead this morning... too bad... :(