What is this growing on my Live Rock?

Mike Johnson

Looks like an Echinophora. Edit: There are so many exotic specimens being sold I should have been more specific. Echinophora mammiformis.

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
uploadfromtaptalk1403012128202.jpgis this what we're looking at? Could you get a clearer shot?
Does it feel spongy?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks for the edit Mike. I was struggling with what came up.
If it contracts in the dark try and get a picture of the skeleton

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Spammie33

Ohhh okay, I do not know if I can get a clearer image, but I will try! Spongy? I do not know I would need to touch it. thank you!

Spammie33

I just touched it, it doesn't feel spongy at all it's actually pretty hard like if I was just touching a piece of rock

Mike Johnson

That's because it's a hard coral, Echinophora mammiformis. Now we need to let it grow to see if its going to be a branching or plating or encrusting kind.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a pic from a search of the above ^

mycediumrobokaki4.jpg

Mike Johnson

My suggestion is to not move it. Trying to help a coral by putting in a different light might kill it. Been there.

chrischunn

My suggestion is to not move it. Trying to help a coral by putting in a different light might kill it. Been there.

how much space do u need behind ur tank. im putting mine in the wall and i need to know how far off the wall do i need to go. it will be accessed from the front. do i need room in the back or can i put it against the wall?