What is a good powerhead for 130?

Ive been running the stock 2 pumps on my RSM130 and a koralia nano and it seems like there is not enough flow with those. The nano is extremely weak, i barely even feel anything on my hands and algae is forming on it.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a koralia 1 and also keeping the koralia nano in the tank. Is that enough? I noticed with my maxijet1200+hydro there was so much power and the hydor wasn't helping because it would move sand all over the place.

TheWeaz

I have a 130 with 2 xMP-10's and 2x Maxi-900 returns. I would suggest just trying out the Maxi-jex 1200/900 upgrade without the hydor.. I didnt care for mine.

I agree I first started out with stock pumps and the K-Nano.. You defiantly need more.

Yeah, its extremely weak. i never realized it either.
Do you think a koralia 1 and nano would be sufficient? Damn, 2 maxijet 900s and 2 mp10s isnt that too much flow?

Bathtub

I just fitted 2 eheim mini 600's- prize the black outlet from stock powerhead, buy some standard 12/16 tubing (fluval) you can drop deeper in chamber to get rid of cavitation problem, and get GREAT flow. Took approx 30 mins to set up, Rheims have variable flow rates. Really recommend the mod....

BigJay

Damn, 2 maxijet 900s and 2 mp10s isnt that too much flow?

thats blasphemy! no such thing.. if its not ripping the skin off its not to much :whstlr:

The k- nano is definitely not enough. I'd probably go with a K2 or 2 K1's , now they aren't called that though they are called the evolutions(the K2 is now the evolution 750). The nice thing about the new Koralia evolutions is they can be used on a wave maker , something the modded maxi's can't do.

I just fitted 2 eheim mini 600's- prize the black outlet from stock powerhead, buy some standard 12/16 tubing (fluval) you can drop deeper in chamber to get rid of cavitation problem, and get GREAT flow. Took approx 30 mins to set up, Rheims have variable flow rates. Really recommend the mod....

I am thinking of doing something like this, but I was wanting to use one pump with a Y splitter, for both outlets. Do you know if any of the Eheim range would fit?
Thanks James

Bathtub

Ha ha funnilyenough I was in the shop with my tape measure! If you go for the y piece you could fit the larger one in (1000 or1200- can't remember name exactly sorry), may require a 90 degree turn- it was going to be close compared to normal orientation....
Do not worry about the nameplate flow seeming low, these are at a much higher pressure head- I.e. Meant to be pumping uphill a lot more. I would say the flow from 1 of my 600s at max is equivalent to both the old power heads (getting whirlpools by the outlets).
The build quality of the Eheims *Is* superb....

Bathtub

I added the vortech mp10 today. It is amazing, the build quality, engineering and controller are stunning. It is expensive, but wow- been a while since I have been so impressed with any kit!

Thanks for that, I will be off to the shop with my tape measure then! I think the 1000 compact might fit.
How have you found the noise on the MP10?

proenca

+69 ( gotta love the number ) on the MP10 - still waiting for mine though, bought one couple of days ago, stalking the mail man now...

seen a couple in action and they are bloody brilliant

screemer

So would getting an Mp10 stop me needing a Koralia in my 130D? Will it solve my flow problems and cyano? Also, why do you need clearance behind the tank for it?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I took out my Koralia when I put the Vortech in, but you wouldn't have to. I just saw no reason for the Koralia anymore. Will it solve your flow problems - probably. Will it solve cyano - probably, depending on the reasons for the cyano. If it's flow related the Vortech can only help the situation.

Clearance behind the tank really refers to standard type tank owners that may want the Vortech on the back wall - not really possible in the RSM tanks. It probably should state clearance on the back, "or sides". That obviously can confuse people with most of the all-in-one tanks. It's the room needed for the dry side motor of the Vortech.

I have an additional powerhead positioned on the right-side glass wall and angling it toward the lower-left front corner of the tank. i've also seen some people attached theirs to the upper-right back-wall. Which way is better?

Also Terry, how do you make the hydor rotating propeller thing stick out and at an angle like the one in your tank?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
clownfishheaven - I attached the Hydor to the end of the rotatable RSM powerhead fitting. The biggest Hydor adapter is too small, but with some hot water and enlarging the adapter just a bit by twisting the shaft of a screwdriver in it, allows me to get the Hydor fitted. Best done out of the tank. And then screwing the RSM fitting back on carefully so the Hydor doesn't fall off. I should try supergluing the adapter on the next time I replace one.