What happened to nemo.

kkrueg7

Question for the experts! I have (had) a pair of ocellarus clowns that started to host a condy anemone. They have hosted the anemone for about 2 weeks today the female was dead. Ran the weekly checks everthing in order. Could the condy of stung it to much finally. The tank 20 gl, 525 power head, nano fission powerhead, 120w compact flouresent 10pds. live rock 25pds live sand small brown polyps 2 small hermits 1 condy pair false clowns (had). Any thoughts thanks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
YEs that's very possible in deed. The "Condi" isn't the clown's natural host so it's very possible there was a misunderstanding.

Anything else "out of place" in the tank?

You ask for any thoughts... just to be honest I have some questions for you

How long has the tank been up?

Have you had any other "Similar" issues?

Now some observations for you..

#1 Tank too small for the condi

#2 Lights VERY much inadequate for the condi

Sorry to be harsh but you need to know this now while you still have time to correct it.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing back from you.

:)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Unlikely that it was the anemone but possible. A condy is not it's natural host i am pretty sure.
Man and i thought this was going to be a petition for a Finding Nemo sequel!

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have to disagree to a point Al. Clown fish can take quite a lot. He said they were hosting it for two weeks already. Plenty of time to get use to it.

kkrueg7

the tank is about six months old. and the live rock, condy, crabs, fish, polyps all came from my 55gl tank(tank is two years old). and seem to be thriving. test weekly for calcium alk, ph, etc and do bi weekly water changes and weekly top offs with ro/di water and instant ocean sea salt. Photos will be under the name new home

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Seems like it should have been ok with those parameters...

I've seen a Condi take out a "Nemo" and it was fairly easy to tell by the "Burn Spots" on the fish's sides. Frank is right (as usual) as this should have been enough time for them to "Get used" to each other. However, I have seen a condi/clown "issue" arise after a few months. I don't know if maybe the fish was sick or something changed but I do know that the "Host" condi stung the clown to death even though there "were" buddies.

Surely you didn't mean topping off weekly with SW.

Also how much do you have to top off weekly?

kkrueg7

No only the water change is done with salt bi weekly and the top off is not even a half gallon in two weeks. Am I taking the right steps as far as testing and water changes go the water seems fine win i test but I change it anyway. I also dose the tank 1 time a week with Iodine, every other day with Kent nano reef essentials and purple up 1 a week and have been doing this since tank was setup

kkrueg7

LOL the crab is not in the tank all the time just ocassionally to stur up the sand then is removed!!!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like you're doing a LOT of things VERY right!

Just as a word of caution.. say NO to Purple Up! Also the other things you're dosing with... are you testing for them? A good rule of thumb is.... if you AREN'T testing for something don't DOSE for it! Especially with IODINE! It can be toxic in relatively low amounts. Most of your "Trace Elements" will be replenished via your routine water changes. This is also the time when many of the chemicals that accumulate in your system are exported as well. Water changes are one of the BEST and EASIEST things you can do for your tank.

:)

kkrueg7

Yes I am testing Should stop using them you think. My goal is to progress my two reef setups and increase coral line alge and all that good stuff I have some coloration to my live rock but it doesn,t seem to blossom. I do have some button polyps and purple mushrooms and they seem to be doing fine as well the polys in my 20gl tank over grew the rock the colony was on in my 55gl.