What Happened to my Jawfish?

Jetbkk

About a week ago my Bluespot Jawfish stopped eating and left its burrow, which was unusual behavior for him. I have had him for 3 months now and he has always been very active and looked healthy.

He disappeared the last 3 days and we feared the worst. After searching for some time, we finally found him, and he now looks like this:

Is this the dreaded Bluespot Jawfish disease that I've read about elsewhere? Any ideas? I'm assuming whatever it is that it will be fatal. I have the fish in an acclimation cage still in my DT for now. I just restarted my QT a week ago so I'm concerned that tank isn't ready for fish yet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated but I suspect this guy is a goner. Very upsetting given the fact that it has so much personality and is my most expensive fish.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sorry jet, this guy looks in rough shape. Reading through some of lee's info it seems that unless the care for the bsj is spot on, they will tend to develop issues. Yours seems to have a large deterioration of the mucus coating. If it were me, I would focus on trying to get him to eat.....and then working some fats/vitamins into him. Rest abolish his health and then reevaluate his habitat. What are you feeding and is he interested in it at all?

Jetbkk

He has been a finicky eater from day one, and for the most part would only eat shrimp that we target fed him. I am sure that this led to poor nutrition and a weakened system, leading to this (whatever it is). He will no longer eat anything and is still alive for now but I'm quite sure he won't be around for long.

I don't think I'll be trying one of these again. They are amazing fish and have the most personality of any fish I've had, but the longterm success rate seems extremely low.

Jetbkk

Came down this morning see him vertical in the tank, which was a surprise (better than just laying there, I think). His buddy, the Longnose Hawkfish is always by his side. Has anyone else seen a fish bonding with jawfish??

Still not eating but will keep trying.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If he is picky I think getting some live brine if you can is your best bet.