What food do you use for your clownfish?

I have a new oscellaris clown (my first SW fish!!!) and have some sinking pellets with krill. However they seem too big for him to eat. He'll chew a little bit but then kind of starts to sink and lets go and then swims back to the top to wait for another one. So the pellet sinks to the bottom and he never finishes eating it! Thankfully my snails clean up the leftovers, and I'm sure it won't be a big problem once I have more fish. But I of course want to have a good food for my clown and something he can eat without looking like he is struggling.

What do you feed yours? Brands, types, etc. Thanks!! :)

DanSReef

I would suggest getting some frozen brine shrimp and flake food for salt water fish. Some pellets are a little too big for some clowns...particularly if the clowen is on the small side. The BS and flake food can be fed in small amounts....and i am sure he will do fine. My TR Percs....are pretty decent size....and they too have a hard time eating small pellets....they wait until the pellets soften up and then pick them away from the CUC...

How old is your tank....and how big? If your tank is fairly established...you could look for copepod / bug cultures for your tank. If you have a refugium...even better.....get bugs established in your tank and they can be a source of live food for your fish and any corals you put in...

Good Luck!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Aquarium Fish Food: San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Saltwater Multi-Pack

mine love this...
San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Saltwater Multi-Pack

Marine Cuisine is a blend of natural seafood ingredients, spirulina algae, color enhancers, and vitamins. A complete diet for your marine carnivores - provides the same nutritional balance found on a coral reef. Its familiar scent entices fish to feed aggressively.

Emerald Entrée is a complete nutritional package especially for fish that rely on microalgae and vegetable matter as a main nutrition source. Fortified with Omega-3 fatty acids such as EPA and DHA, proven to be important for optimal growth and disease prevention in marine fish. Also contains mysis shrimp, a natural attractant, to stimulate appetite and entice finicky eaters.

100% Squid is an excellent source of protein and a great supplementary food for carnivores such as triggerfish and groupers. Ornamental shrimp and other invertebrates such as crabs and starfish will also enjoy this nutritious treat.

Omega-3 enriched Brine Shrimp, with enhanced HUFA levels, promote fish maturation and breeding while increasing disease resistance. Excellent diet for saltwater fish where these special omegas are a must for the longevity of your fish.

yachtie

i use emerald entree as well as seaweed delight from sanfrancisco bay foods. most stores have these foods they are frozen cubes. they love it.

coolio21

I had the same problem with the pellets. I feed my clown and other fish the New Life Spectrum, Marine formula pellets size 1mm. Its the next size down from the medium size fish pellets. Then I feed him mysis shrimp twice a week.

catran

I feed them every 2 days and and rotate, using-
Instant Ocean Marine Chips-Omnivore diet- I like chips because they don't break apart and dissolve as quick as flakes,
Ocean Nutrition Nano Reef Fish Food- small pellets for small fish, and....
I used to use frozen Mysis but I just switched to Reef Nutrition Mysis Feast... they lost their minds!

Oh, about every couple of weeks I feed them a little Marine Cuisine too.

JulesVane

I've probably got more marine fish food in cube form in my freezer than I have human food for myself! They seem to love it all...LOL

Thanks for all the replies! I'll check out what my LFS has in frozen foods. I didn't see any smaller sized pellets there so maybe I'll check a few other stores or order online.

When I set up my tank I got a cup of live sand which had copepods in it, now I see them all over the rocks at night. They've had 3 months to multiply without any fish to eat them, so hopefully there's enough in there for my clown to eat now! Is it ever necessary to replenish the stock of copepods?

Smokey301

i've been feeding my pair of osc. clowns hikari marine s and they seem to love it, i also add live baby brine twice a day that they seem to go crazy for as well but I do that for more of the corals and anemones

nightfire76

my clowns eat anything lol except nori (walmart) lol you can look online and get different recipes for making ya own food and going to fish markets or even places like walmart are cheaper and more bang for your buck as far as how much ya can get.....i still have frozen "fish mush" we at our local reef club made back in september and it has everything ya can think of in it as far as sea food and a few extra things bought at ya lfs