What effect does UV have on corals?

jerry26

I am curious what effect poorly filtered uv radiation from a metal halide would be on corals? I have the cheap-o odyssea MH fixture and though i dont think its as horrible of a setup as alot of people, i do question the glass that comes on the fixture.

reefer gladness

If you google 'corals UV exposure' you'll find lots of scholarly articles on the topic. Basically UV radiation is bad and alters the DNA of living organisms. It may be somewhat surprise that UV radiation doesn't penetrate very far below the ocean's surface. I say surprising because of the shorter wavelength and we know that red is the first color filtered due to it's longer wavelength, the orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, etc. It's suspected that the mucous secreted by SPS corals at low tide is to protect from the suns harmful UV radiation.

Anyway, I was a little concerned about this as well when I added some violet UV's to me LED setup but the violet LED's aren't short enough in wavelength to be damaging. Here's one article from AA you might find interesting : Coral skeletons serve as both internal reflectors and UV protection — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Frankie

RS STAFF
Interesting read rg. Thanks for sharing that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forum Runner

Frankie

RS STAFF
More good stuff. Thanks Jerry!
Since 2000 I have been studying reef aquaria husbandry. I use to attend online seminars by Dr Sanjay out of Penn State University and learned a lot on lighting and how it affects corals and fish in aquariums.
Here is a link to start with if you want to start reading on his writings.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/8/aafeature
Do a search for more info if interested. For me he is the main guru when it comes to lighting over our reef aquariums.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sanjay is the "GuRu" in my books as well. He has forgotten more about reefing and lighting than most of us will ever know.

jerry26

Ive been having a hard time finding a straight forward answer as to the way the coral would react. Ive been trying to figure out ways we could tell theres an over exposure by looking at the coral but so far the only answer ive seen is bleaching and thats doesnt help much. I have a VERY hard time acclimating corals to these halides, no matter how much i shade them or screen them they always seem to have a very hard time surviving. I look at my clownfish and notice the top of their body has darkened ever since the halides and that make me question uv exposure. Ive have yet to lose a fish/snail/crab/shrimp except in cases where they were eaten. I looked and looked for alk/ph swings and have yet to notice one of any significance and my parameter are practically always spot on(steady calc/alk drop. Will raise alk around 1 dkh every three days or so), yet corals have a hard time.

reefer gladness

I'd say if you're in doubt about the Odyssea bulbs it's time to change them and go with a different brand. Metal halide bulbs produce a lot of UV radiation and it's the coating on the bulb that filters out most of the harmful UV. I'm not really a metal halide guy but I thought that's also one of the reasons metal halide bulbs should be replaced every year or so.

jerry26

Yea ive thought about that alot. These bulbs definitely are not quality bulbs. Right now theyre about 4 months old. Whenever i get the money ill buy new ones but im Still feeling the christmas beatdown.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey Jerry I doubt highly it's the light bulbs I was exposing my 120 gallon reef to 800 watts of radium metal halides and had nothing but significant growth and color enhancing. Your issues are more likely due to water parameters.
What salt are you using and what is the salinity.
Have you checked your potassium level (k+)

Frankie

RS STAFF
He said I've been foiled by Frankie dang it!
Ha ha ha I love whacking these turds with my band stick!

jerry26

I have never monitored or even checked potassium. Mine salinity is a consistent .024 and i just use regular instant ocean salt.

I should correct myself, i did lose an urchin once but i think that was due to copper from a sponge rinse.

Frankie

RS STAFF
IO could be your problem. It lacks certain balanced minerals required by corals. I have seen may people over the years have issues related to that salt. In test results it has come up short many times to be inconsistent in certain properties from batch to batch.
You may want to consider changing up to a salt designed for reefs.
What other salts are available in your area?

jerry26

I know theres reef crystals, red sea and some kent stuff And more i cant recall but idk the specifics off the top of my head. I never really considered the salt since i dose(manually) but idk, something im not seeing is out of wack.

Frankie

RS STAFF
If you can get tropic Marin that would be great Reef Pro would be best.

jerry26

I have seen that online but im not sure ive seen it in any of the stores around here. Ill have to go take a look around and get a list of all the available stuff. Im assuming id get shafted on shipping if i were to order salts?

reefer gladness

Not sure how the prices compare locally but you can get the tropic marin reef pro from petsolutions. $70 for 200 gallon but they have free shipping on orders over $49. I've been buying the RS salts from them but getting ready to switch after this bucket is finished.