What does your TDS meter say?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
RO is dependant on the tap TDS. Look for an avg ~ 96% removal 515 x 4 % = 20 ppm TDS. You are at 6+ % left behind. This may be due to the type of RO unit you have. However, it may be also due to the Alk and pH of the water which can lower that rejection rate to what you have. High Alk in tap water or low pH or a combo of the two end giving high CO2. The RO does not remove CO2 as it is a gas and goes right through it. The CO2 on the other side of the RO reacts with water and produces HCO3- & CO3-- which raise the TDS. So, your RO maybe wroking just fine.

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Slight hijack in progress here...

Would the DI unit help this or is it a case of "It is what it is" ?

Allen :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I just NOW got my new Dual Inline TDS meter in the mail. If it's a DUAL how are yall getting 3 different readings from it?

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I understand what the measurements are but once I install the Dual In-line unit I can only test 2 of the 3 so should it be RAW h20 and final which would leave the RO only water untested so I'd be guessing about then to change the canisters. How can I test 3 samples with only two test inputs?

Allen

goldenmean

Dual line TDS meter should go after RO filters and after DI filter so that you know
when to change RO filters and
when to Change DI resin.

That is what I did. I do not know what my tap water TDS is and truthfully it is not important (although I do kind of wish I had tested it first. so I could brag about my system's effectiveness in threads like this)

My RO tds is 8-10
DI is 0

CATALYST

What is acceptable to use in the tank? When do I read the number and say 'time to change the filters'?

jrf1175

I have Dual TDS reading tap and DI water and readings are 85-90 for tap and 0 for DI.

I like the idea after the RO...when should you change the RO filters? at what TDS reading?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
  • Hand held TDS meter reads @70 ppm ppm on tap water
  • dual TDS meter reads
    • 3 ppm post RO membrane
    • 0 ppm post RO membrane & DI

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You guys have some awesome tap water. I think I live in a bog.

:LOL:

Now I can't wait to get home to test my TAP water. Would it be ok to just dip the "Tee" into a glass of tap water to test it? I don't have my RO/DI unit yet to hook it up to test it.

Allen

I just installed my Dual TDS meter about a week ago. My tap water is 108ppm and after the RO/DI it is 0ppm. After reading this thread I may pick up some extra valves & fittings so I can switch between the RO output and the DI output.