What can I put with a Mantis?

PIMPALA

doubt he ever touches them. if u have mean damsels in there... and you can catch them... before you put them in the mantis tank, knock them out first. or give them some valium or something to slow them down. they would make a good meal. lol

They won't touch a long spine urchin and that'll take care of your hair algae.... and every bit of caralline you may have. When the urchin when over the front of his den, you could see he was disgusted. But what was he going to do, he can't get near the core.

Our Chiragra killed a damsel and a pencil urchin after being roomies for a year.

PIMPALA

I had an opposite experience with the following urchins:

Pencil (larger than a tennis ball)
Long spine (over 8" from tip to tip)
Tuxedo

All 3 smashed in, and the meat scooped out like an ice cream cone. although it did take a few weeks for each one to become a meal. and they DID eat some GHA.

He has also eaten every kind of snail, shrimp, and crab that ive put in the tank.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
I think I'm gonna give an urchin a shot... and most def a lion.. I love lionfishes. Hopefully I can find a small one... thanks guys.... and where can I get this fish ghb?.. no lfs has it...lmao

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

PIMPALA

If I could do it all over again, I'd get a fuzzy dwarf.

In fact, I may see about trading my volitan in for one. a LFS here has 3 of them, all different colors.

Mitchell

hey whats the min tank size for a fuzzy dwarf? PLEASE tell me I can put it in my new tank....please..... 24 long x 19 deep x 18 high

PIMPALA

they get 6-7" long. i'd say a 55 gallon tank would be about the smallest. a 40 breeder would be ok too... but i dont know if they would be super happy in anything much smaller than that.

they dont really swim around a ton. so i'm sure you could get away with it. but its just not "recommended" per say.

PIMPALA

Honestly, I doubt a fuzzy dwarf would know the difference between your tank, and a 75 gallon tank. i've seen way WAY worse. lol

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
That's a scam Mitchell.. I smoke and I'm 6'5... I gave it my best shot with heavy smoking and drinking but I'm still the tallest Guy in the room..lol

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

My fuzzies are in 28g nanocubes. I have 4 at the moment. I'm going to move some around tonight. You won't end up with one of those huge brutes that will meet there max size potential unless you buy them that way. Buy small, they stay smaller. It's a diet thing, IMO. If it's not optimum when they are tiny, they can be stunted. I changed up the diet of a three year old volitans while he was in a QT situation for 3 months. He grew out of his tank in that time.... 3 years old and he has a growth spurt. Be creative with your rockwork to include overhangs as they will utilize them. But aquascape to maximize swimming room.

Doooood, that's not a good mix. You'll get more longevity out of a fish that doesn't spend the majority of their day perched on the rock and in caves. You need a fish that spends most of it's time in the water column.

PIMPALA

Its a smasher mantis. they dont actively hunt fish like stabbers do. Mine doesnt mess with my Lion, or my trigger, who both hang out in caves and on rocks. they have been ok for a long time.

not saying that its not a risk though.

The smaller the tank, the bigger the risk. Too big, IMO.

What size is your tank, Pimpala?

I've had all my mantis' eventually end up eating their fish mates. Tanks all 25g a below, besides a split 40g. Ya, nothing like the ciliata, who went all ninja on the damsel. I actually felt too bad to do it a second time and I'm not usually soft like that :-/