What can I do with this?

DeepBlue

A local LFS here in Madison closed it's doors yesterday and today posted on Craigslist.com that they had put several tanks behind the store for anyone to come and get. So, I ran over there to check things out and I grabbed one of these:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am thinking of using this as a sump. Of course, I will be taking it home and give it a good cleaning. It measures 48" X 12" X 12". As you can see, it has two bulkheads drilled into the side and towards the bottom of the tank. Not sure what I will do with one of the holes, but think maybe I would use a piece of glass to patch it over. I would use the other hole with a new bulkhead connection and have that be for the return pump. I would like to incorporate my 10 gallon fuge with this, or would it be better to have the fuge as part of the sump? Any suggestions? I just couldn't resist grabbing one of these...

Attachments

• 30GalSumpFront(sm).jpg
    30GalSumpFront(sm).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 30GalSumpSide(sm).jpg
    30GalSumpSide(sm).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 166

coraldynamics

RS Sponsor
The gravel looks like freshwater stones, the silicon looks blue (??)

If that was a freshwater tank, be cautious - copper based meds. I'd worry if I didnt replace the silicone in it

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
SCORE!! Just make SURE it never had COPPER used in it. It would be WELL worth your money and time to purchase a copper test kit and test it thoroughly a few times.

I like to keep the FUGE separate that way you can adjust the flow from one independently of the other. That's how I have mine set up and LOVE it.

DeepBlue

Yeah, this was a freshwater tank. Is there anyway to cleanse a tank that might have had copper in it?

Also Frankie, I have an ASM G3 that I use in-sump. That was a great suggestion though.

Al, I think I will keep my fuge separate as you said. I will load up the sump with rock!

DeepBlue

Oh, and the silicone is actually clear white. The blue is just the refraction of the light and my angle.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I would not worry about it until you test it. Just fill it up with water and let it sit for a few days. Then test it for copper. (good call Al)
Even if it has trace copper attached to the silicone I would not panic. To be on the safe side, you can cut out the silicone on the inside and give it a fresh seal. That would also help future leaks. Glass tanks have a 20 year run before the silicone starts to give. LFS tanks are famous for leaking from all the usage.

DeepBlue

Good suggestion Frankie. I know that the tanks are at least 14 years old as the store was open that long. It would give me better piece of mind knowing that the tank is sealed better and free of copper. Thanks!

nikkipigtails

Boomer cleared up the copper myth for me because the tank we bought was originally used as FW. Silicone cannot absorb anything. Even if copper was used in the tank, it would not be absorbed into the silicone. The reason the silicone turns blue when a copper based medication is used is because the medications are usually dyed blue so the dye in the medication dyes the silicone blue. The color change, if there is one, isn't an indication of copper in the silicone.

coraldynamics

RS Sponsor
Boomer cleared up the copper myth for me because the tank we bought was originally used as FW. Silicone cannot absorb anything. Even if copper was used in the tank, it would not be absorbed into the silicone. The reason the silicone turns blue when a copper based medication is used is because the medications are usually dyed blue so the dye in the medication dyes the silicone blue. The color change, if there is one, isn't an indication of copper in the silicone.

Thanks for clearing that up. I always thought Copper COULD penetrate the silicone. I am actually glad I was mistaken in this instance! :D

Witfull

also, any adsorbed copper must be released bu degregation of the adsorbing compound.....if your glass adsorbed copper,,,the glass must disolve to release it.....get it?