What are your nitrate levels??

Gravity

Looks like your substrate has quite large particles. I had a similar effect once when using the Red sea substrate (the large stuff with hollow shell like balls). But now I use a much small sugar grain sized sand and it stays white.

p.s. sound like your skimmer isn't working very hard but if your nitrate levels are 5ppm then I'm guessing you have a low fish stocking level so the skimmer doesn't need to be working hard. Even so, a few spoonfulls of gunk a week is very low. The nitrate level isn't whats causing your coloured sand though.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Gravity

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Gravity - Welcome! Do you have an RSM? If so, which one? I've had the Red Sea substrate for 3+ years and never had any coralline on it, but I agree nitrates can turn it brownish (so will age LOL!)

Gravity

Thanks for the welcome nano. Hi Reefmack, yup, I have a RSM 250. I've had a few setups in the past. I wanted to move my tank to the living room for maximum viewing so decided that it had to look good. So an RSM it was. I've resisted resurecting kit from my graveyard (Halides, skimmers, pumps etc) and stuck with the standard kit so far. However, I'm not convinced with the skimmer and the hood fans anoy me. So mods are sure to be on the way. Lots of good info on this forum though so should be a doddle.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Gravity - on the top left of the Red Sea Max Owners Club - click "New Thread" and start us a tank thread - would Love to see some pics of your tank - RSM 250 is one of the best looking tank around imo

Gravity

p.s. Reefemack, I used the RedSea substrate for a couple of years but I found that it got a bit dull with age. I didn't like the lack of reflected light. It's been the only substrate to attract coralline for me too. Maybe this was because I had very few stonys to suck up the calcium so plenty spare for corraline. Anyway, I assumed it was a particle size thing. I've been on standard aragonite since and this stays white as white. Good job too in the RSM 'cos the lights are good but not as good as Halides. Although this is probably a simple wattage thing - 300W of white halide vs 125W of white light in an RSM 250.

opiea1c

how often is your sand turned, as in how good of a job is your crew doing of actually moving your sand? that could play big role as well current and the size/type of your substrate