what are the most relyed upon test kits in the marine trade today?

fellers

I want to buy all new test kits. I would greatly appreciate some info on what brand/type of test kits to get that is Thee Absolute pinnacle of performance.
Could you please list exactly every single test I would need for every possible parameter test in my tank.
I would especially love any awesome proven digital monitors. Now that would be nice.
I have kits now but they are old, time to be replaced, and I am not sure that I trust them so much.
This is the one area that I could really use some experienced advice to get exactly what I need the first time.
No more wasted money or being talked into something I don't need.
This is my research to be armed with; my homework will begin when I receive your responses.
hooah

Val

I want to buy all new test kits. I would greatly appreciate some info on what brand/type of test kits to get that is Thee Absolute pinnacle of performance.
Could you please list exactly every single test I would need for every possible parameter test in my tank.
I would especially love any awesome proven digital monitors. Now that would be nice.
I have kits now but they are old, time to be replaced, and I am not sure that I trust them so much.
This is the one area that I could really use some experienced advice to get exactly what I need the first time.
No more wasted money or being talked into something I don't need.
This is my research to be armed with; my homework will begin when I receive your responses.
hooah

What are you looking for? you mention the absolute pinnacle of performance and that you don't want something you don't need. If you dose your tank or is it a specialized tank of some sort?

I'm not an expert but I have API test kits and a few more expensive test kits and they read the same. Unless you have some reason to know the absolute exact reading I would save the money.

michael_cb_125

I have used MANY MANY different test kits and I have found that the ELOS test kits are VERY ACCURATE and are easy to use. I have used LaMotte and was not happy with how difficult some of the tests are to use.

The elos test kits are made in Italy, and are a little pricey, but in my opinion the ease of use, accuracy, quality and customer service (Jesse) are well worth the premium.

~Michael

DaveK

Here is a post I wrote some time ago on Test Kits. It seems to fit this topic very well, so I have made it a new "DaveK's Standard Lecture" since it's a topic that comes up rather often.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #4 – Test Kits

First before you worry about the other tests, make sure your SG is correct. I highly recommend using a refractometer for this measurement. Aquarium grade hydrometers tend to be very inaccurate, especially when used over time.

Once you have the SG correct you'll need the following test kits for the initial cycle -
pH (This can also be done via a pH meter, which is more accurate, and expensive)
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate (low range)

To properly monitor the water, especially for corals, these these kits are often used -
KH or Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphate

There are a host of other test kits you can get. I have some of them but do not typically use them.
Iodine - only needed if you are dousing iodine, which is not something I recommend.
Copper - only needed if you are treating a disease in a QT tank with copper.
Silicate - only needed if you suspect a problem with silicate in the water.
Strontium - only needed if dousing strontium

I think I've covered most of the major ones.

Each test kit works differently, so you need to consult the manufacturers instructions for each test.

As for brands, in aquarium grade test kits I like Elos and Salifret. LaMotte test kits are excellent, but extremely expensive. Most of the others are ok. Like anything else you get what you pay for.

If you do get a reading that seems way off, repeat the test, and if it still seems way off, use another brand test kit and repeat the test. In other words, consider that the test kit may be wrong.

You'll notice that you most likely will need to get a lot of test kits. It's often a lot less expensive to order them via the net, and you'll also know the test kit hasn't been sitting on the LFS shelf for years.

fellers

Here is a post I wrote some time ago on Test Kits. It seems to fit this topic very well, so I have made it a new "DaveK's Standard Lecture" since it's a topic that comes up rather often.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #4 – Test Kits

First before you worry about the other tests, make sure your SG is correct. I highly recommend using a refractometer for this measurement. Aquarium grade hydrometers tend to be very inaccurate, especially when used over time.

Once you have the SG correct you'll need the following test kits for the initial cycle -
pH (This can also be done via a pH meter, which is more accurate, and expensive)
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate (low range)

To properly monitor the water, especially for corals, these these kits are often used -
KH or Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphate

There are a host of other test kits you can get. I have some of them but do not typically use them.
Iodine - only needed if you are dousing iodine, which is not something I recommend.
Copper - only needed if you are treating a disease in a QT tank with copper.
Silicate - only needed if you suspect a problem with silicate in the water.
Strontium - only needed if dousing strontium

I think I've covered most of the major ones.

Each test kit works differently, so you need to consult the manufacturers instructions for each test.

As for brands, in aquarium grade test kits I like Elos and Salifret. LaMotte test kits are excellent, but extremely expensive. Most of the others are ok. Like anything else you get what you pay for.

If you do get a reading that seems way off, repeat the test, and if it still seems way off, use another brand test kit and repeat the test. In other words, consider that the test kit may be wrong.

You'll notice that you most likely will need to get a lot of test kits. It's often a lot less expensive to order them via the net, and you'll also know the test kit hasn't been sitting on the LFS shelf for years.

Good Post ... Thanks I have been using API test kits. I am not to fond of them. Where can I get a digital PH reader and refractometer for SG? Good online place where I can just get it all.
I hear what your saying about sitting on the shelf to long and I am thinking more and more that I am starting to know more about SW than he. He just wants sales. Glad this board is here, hooah...