WFire's New RSM C250!

WFire

I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good clean up crew for this sized tank? I have 4 trochus, 3 blue legged hermit, 3 dwarf red hermits, 5 dwarf zebras, 1 emerald crab, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp. I think more snails would be good. Anything unique? :biggrin:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I love snails for cuc ... around one per gallon is what I like, but on a new tank, I would start with about 1/2 this many & add more in a couple months

Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, Nerites, Margarita, Nassarius and Mexican Turbos

also love cleaner shrimp

WFire

Thanks for the info on CUC numbers! I wasn't aware of that formula. I think I like snails best as well. I had a combination of all the snails you suggested in my nano at one time or another, and most did a good job. I think I really like trochus, astrea, cerith, nassarius and the Turbos. Those worked really well in my previous tank so I think I'll add a combination of 25 or so like you suggested.

Anything unique that does a good job that may be fun to watch? :p

Thanks!

akejan

Almost the aquascape that i'm looking for. The big rock on top makes i look nice. You can put some SPS there.
I think a yellow tang or a kole yellow eye tang would do nice in your tank.

WFire

Almost the aquascape that i'm looking for. The big rock on top makes i look nice. You can put some SPS there.
I think a yellow tang or a kole yellow eye tang would do nice in your tank.

Thanks! I'm very lucky that it turned out that way on the first try! I spent longer on my nano aquascape...lol! :p

I was seriously considering one of those two tangs. A lot of people don't think tangs should go in a tank this size, yet I see lots of people that do have them. I think for me if my tank can handle the bioload of all the other livestock I put in then I'll consider it down the road.:bounce:

WFire

I've just set up a QT tank for any future additions to the tank, and I've been doing some reading on the topic. What I've read in multiple places is to "medicate" the livestock to ensure a healthy specimen. Is this something that needs to be done, or is the 4-6 weeks of strictly quarantine enough as long as the livestock appear healthy when all is said and done? :dunno:

akejan

I have a 31 gallon tank right now and I'm thinking of buying a larger tank. How noisy is this tank and what do you think of the skimmer?
(Sorry for my spelling/language)

WFire

I have a 31 gallon tank right now and I'm thinking of buying a larger tank. How noisy is this tank and what do you think of the skimmer?
(Sorry for my spelling/language)

I love this tank! My wife thinks its noisy but she's not too excited yet about my new hobby, so I think she's over exaggerating. :( I personally don't notice the noise at all anymore. There is a bit of noise though. Mainly the fans.

I'm still trying to figure out the skimmer and which setting is best. I do know that a LARGE amount of junk ends up in there, and I test every couple days and my results are great! So I think it's doing its job! :p

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My tank is very noisy. With all the mods I have made, it has really gotten LOUDER. Good thing my husband has ruined his hearing with his hobby of shooting gun & he knows not to complain about MY TANK :winky:
It just sounds like the ocean to me :rolleyes:

WFire

My tank is very noisy. With all the mods I have made, it has really gotten LOUDER. Good thing my husband has ruined his hearing with his hobby of shooting gun & he knows not to complain about MY TANK :winky:
It just sounds like the ocean to me :rolleyes:

I personally like the sound as well! :bounce:

Did you do a mod on your lights? I've read a bit about "Steve's LED's" and was wondering if they're any good? A lot of people seem to like them.

Pat24601

I personally like the sound as well! :bounce:

Did you do a mod on your lights? I've read a bit about "Steve's LED's" and was wondering if they're any good? A lot of people seem to like them.

From all I've heard they are VERY good IF you aren't intimidated by the install, which I am...

WFire

From all I've heard they are VERY good IF you aren't intimidated by the install, which I am...

I'm assuming they're better than the stock T5's? I don't think I'm ready to spend that money just yet, but I eventually want to go LED. Plus if I wait long enough maybe Redsea will have an LED retrofit for the C250. :biggrin2:

WFire

I just have a quick question. In the rear sump area the water is very dirty. Is this normal? Should the filtration be getting that stuff? If its not normal what do I need to do to fix it? :dunno:

Pat24601

I just have a quick question. In the rear sump area the water is very dirty. Is this normal? Should the filtration be getting that stuff? If its not normal what do I need to do to fix it? :dunno:

What does "very dirty" mean? I put some filter floss (the blue and white stuff from intank) in my media rack and it certainly seems to collect a lot of crud. It's cheap and easy and I change it twice a week.

Pat24601

I'm assuming they're better than the stock T5's? I don't think I'm ready to spend that money just yet, but I eventually want to go LED. Plus if I wait long enough maybe Redsea will have an LED retrofit for the C250. :biggrin2:

I'm not sure what "better" means. I certainly think they are "cooler" than T5s. But, T5s grow corals quite well. So, they aren't substandard or anything for your actual growth needs.

WFire

What does "very dirty" mean? I put some filter floss (the blue and white stuff from intank) in my media rack and it certainly seems to collect a lot of crud. It's cheap and easy and I change it twice a week.

The filter floss I have pick up a lot of crud, but the water itself has a lot of crud floating on the top. I feel like its not normal. I'm just trying to determine if my filtration is doing it's job. Especially the skimmer. Never had a skimmer before and sometimes it's full of dirty water (overskimming ?) so I adjust and then it seems like nothing is in the collection cup (underskimming ?). When there is stuff in there its really dirty.

I test the display tank water every couple days and my results appear great. Ammonia and nitrite 0, and my nitrates are less than 5. I would even say closer to zero.

I just really want to make sure I'm doing things right.