Welcome back Karma!

ReefLady

Staff member
Welp... after much deliberation, here is what the RS staff has decided is the best course of action concerning karma.

first of all, it is pretty much unanimous that the commenting system is the most valuable part of karma. Everyone likes that part, and there is pretty much no controversy there.

On the other hand, the points system is where things become polarizing. Karma parties, do the points mean anything, does it mislead new users, why did the admin give people -9,000,000 points ;) et cetera.

I think MOST of us could be perfectly happy with a system that emphasizes the commenting system and de-emphasizes the points system without doing away with it altogether.

In this spirit, karma will be turned back on. However, on a user's posts, I am going to remove the actual point number and green bars. Those should still be accessible via someone's user control panel.

I know it seems like we've made a big deal over a relatively small change. Believe me, I did my best to find a suitable alternative that would meet our needs as a community, and the perfect system isn't there. But what I can do is customize the system we have to make it better suited to RS.

As with any polict decision, I know that not everyone will be pleased with this. But I think the majority of you will recognize that this is an attempt to preserve what's best about RS, while evolving away from something that never really worked the way it was intended.

I am going to re-enable karma for now, and will change the behavior with the system live... please be patient with any glitches/weirdness.

Comments welcome. This thread will remain open for all to comment. As always, feel free to PM me your thoughts as well.

Travis

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
karma.jpg

fishnu

After Glorious Revolution all seetizens will have equal Karma.

Just not very myooch of eet.

DrHank

It sounds like a reasonable way to resolve the problem. I hope that there aren't any glitches. I'm sure the staff and mods have better things to do.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds like a reasonable solution Travis. thanks for thinking this through. Good luck with the tweaking. :)
Fionn_Matt, It's kinda like the way a check book works. The first check is always 1001. Also this way new people don't look bad staying at 0 if no one sends a karma.

reefjitsu

Hooray! I am glad to see it back. So, I am unlear on the rules. Are there any? How will it work differently? Can we have karma parties? Can we still do welcome karma? Random acts of karma?

Craig Manoukian

Thanks for everyone's patience and understanding! Remember we are each just one of 9,350 members (and growing) and we have to try to do what's best for everybody. Enjoy!

Raf

So, what was changed other than starting everyone over?

Also, you mentioned that we could not see the bars and #'s in the posts, but I still can see them???

:whstlr:

Witfull

the green dots and numbers will be going, its a matter of hacking the program software. but we wanted to get it up and running again so everyone could return to giving Karma Komments~