Water Quality

BLADEYAMAHA

It just does not sound like the tank has cycled at all yet. The rock isn't cured or something, do you run a skimmer?

gbose

Watergunz:

Congratulations on getting the fish out of your tank. I'd wait through the cycle and then add them back slowly -- maybe one a week.

Good luck!

GBose

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
The problem is, your tank is in the first stages of cycling. Amonia spikes, then over 2-4 weeks, drops. it is changed ot Nitrite, and that will spike and over 2-4 more weeks, that will drop as its changed to nitrate. Nitrate isnt very toxic to fish, but it will need to be kept low with water changes or you will have algae problems. once your readings say Amonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate <0, your tank is cycled and you can do a couple of water changes ot get the nitrates >20ppm and start adding fish 1 every week in a tank that size.

Untill you start registering Nitrates, i wouldnt do any more water changes, since you said you do not have any fish in the tank. Let the bacteria feast and multiply and get rid of the amonia. if you dont already, add a powerhead blowing at your live rock. the more flow over the rock the better.

i saw the word Fluval...are you by chance using a canister filter? Those arent really of much value in the marine aquarium world. They cause more problems than they solve. if you feel you must use it, remove any media save carbon, and possibly phosphate/nitrate absorbant material. Take out any floss, chem stars, ceramic rings, filter pads...all of those will cause problems.