Water Quality

Watergunz

Hey guys I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank. I did a 5 gallon water change yesterday, I just checked my Ammonia level and I'm getting a reading of 1.0 ! What should I do?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
First off do another waterchange and retest... how old is the system? How much livestock?. Whats your feeding schedule?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Watergunz

My tank is a month old now.
I feed them brine shrimp and spectrum pellets (not both at the same time) once in the morning, and once at night.

I have 3 chromis fish, 1 clown fish, 5 nassarius snails, 1 turbo snail, 1 emerald crab.

Tru2nr

It's been cycled for a month or just running for a month?

...Food, beer, salt needed can only afford two...i'll buy food next week i'm a reefaholic

BLADEYAMAHA

You need to do water changes, forget the Ammo Lock stuff, its chemical and only masks the problem, IMO, 4 fish sounds like a lot for that tank. See what others have to say about it. Do some water changes, same specific gravity as is in your tank or very close, and don't forget to make the water the same temp as the tank water.

An ammonia spike indicates the tank has not cycled or too much livestock was added too quickly. You will have to do massive water changes to get rid of the ammonia (the solution to pollution is dilution). However, if the tank has not cycled water changes will only be a temporary fix.

Ammonia is toxic to fish. If you are unable to get the levels down quickly, you should plan to put the fish in another home (a friend's tank, LFS, or a new bare tank with fresh mixed SW).

Good luck.

Watergunz

Yeah, if I can't get it down by today I will be giving my fish to a friend. Thanks everyone I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

BLADEYAMAHA

Just do the 75% water change and get it over with and then test, quit messing around, IMO, you got real water quality problems.

Watergunz

Just do the 75% water change and get it over with and then test, quit messing around, IMO, you got real water quality problems.

I'm well aware of that. I'm not messing around this is my first tank and I'm doing my best to resolve the issues quickly as possible. I just finished buying some RODI water. Will keep you all posted.

Cool. I'm kinda in the same boat. I have nitrites in my QT.. Tested late last night but have to wait til tonight for a water change. Sounds like you're on it.. Good luck.

Watergunz

As promised, I said I would keep you all updated.

I've done 75% RODI water change and no luck... I even tested the water I bought which tested undetectable.

I gave my fish to a friend who has a well established tank.

Until I figure out the problem I have nothing else for you guys.

Watergunz

How would I cure rock, this has been happening ever since I got my "new" 10lbs

Also forgot to mention I tested the water coming "out" of my filter "Fluval 404" and it's testing the same as the water in the actual tank.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Throw a deli shrimp in the tank n let it rot. Watch ur nitrogen cycle develop. Any ammonia at all is too much for fish.

..........its 5:00 somewhere