water problems

lobban

hi guys ive added my cured rock but my nitrite and nitrate levels are wrong will this sort itself out after a few days of the rock being in the tank? also do i have to do a cycle process?

Dweezil

Hi lobban and welcome to RS. :) Now, what do you mean by "nitrite and nitrate levels are wrong"? Is this a new setup just starting out? If the answer is yes then you will definitely have to cycle.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary lobban! As Dweezil (Tammy) said, we need more information to offer you help. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings? Test kit brands being used would be helpful. I assume the tank was just set up recently?

jpsika08

Welcome to RS and RSM community! :)

If you mean that both of those levels are not at 0 and your tank is till under cycling, that's pretty much normal. Still as Terry and Tammy have asked, we need all tank params.

bbe22

Welcome to RS. Yes, you need to cycle the tank before stocking it with animals. The live rock will aid in getting your levels balanced. Most people toss a "deli" shrimp, just a raw dead shrimp in the tank and let it decompose to start the ammonia cycle. It should take about a month for the levels to settle out completely. When your ammonia and nitrites read zero you should be good to go. Just be sure to add fish and other animals slowly, not all at once.