Water Line questions? Need to get rid of surface scums

Hello

I have a 130 rsm and i am not sure where my water lines is? I usually fill it up to where the glass ends at the top. However i been noticing that i have a been getting alot of surface scums?

Can you tell me if my waterlines is correct?
I have order the surface skimmer and soon will be putting it in but im not sure where the water suppose to be also?

john

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
John - the surface skimmer will help ! The water level you want to keep it at is a bit different than a RSM 130D (what I have), so I will let the 130 owners advise, but the key is consistent levels & the level you want, is related to skimmer performance as much as anything.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
With the 130 (without the surface skimmer upgrade) you need to run it so that there's at least 1/4 inch of space open at the top of the gate in back. With that and raising the back gate up (not too far), as well as having one of of the 2 pumps pointed up to ripple the surface, will help pull that scum through the gate. That usually means that your water line will have to be slightly below the black trim in front. If you have the water level covering the whole gate, nothing will get pulled off the surface. That was the reason for the surface skimmer upgrade in the 130D models - so people could run the level in the front up to the black trim, and still have the top of the gate below water level. I hope that helps. :)

Thanks Reefmack and nanoreefing4fun, your answer help alot! i clearly understand how to get rid of it. and where the water line should be.

Kingah

This is a great thread! I have a 130 but tried the surface skimmer upgrade out, stupidly the way my rock-scape is, the top of my rocks bumped up the surface skimmer so it didn't work at all. So I put on the original 130 grate and as reefmack said positioned it about 1/4 inch from the top. The water was about 1cm below the rim of the tank, so what I have simply done is put black electrical tape around the tank, below the rim. It looks exactly the same as the plastic.

If that make sense?

Kingah

Nice idea Kingah! I often thought about the black tape, but never did do it.

Honestly do it. The tape and the plastic on the rim have pretty much the exact same matte finish. A match made in heaven.

Oh and incase you guys are interested. I just bought another pair of aquarays so i'm going for 4 aquarays in the hood. Completely doing away with the T5s. I'll do a step by step and put it in the mod sticky and on my tank thread.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I would do it, but I like to see the water level LOL! With a sump in the cabinet now, I can tell from a distance whether there are any problems with the water level rising in the DT, which could indicate a problem with 1) my media in the rack plugging up, or 2) the Lifereef siphon not draining correctly. With an overflow the water in the DT and back are the same, and stay constant (evaporation occurs in the sump), unless there's a problem. It's my quick look at the tank from another room to tell me if all is well, or if I need to fix something.

Be sure to post on the Aquarays when you get it completed! I'm going to an LED fixture soon too.