water changes....

terry64

I am just starting to find out how beneficial water changes are, every time i do a water change, things happen, i get new growth and my polyps stand up and everything looks great, what is the best frequency, 10% per week or 20% every 2 weeks? i have a 34G 2 12G's and a 55G which i am currently cycling, so it's a lot of work but well worth the effort.

Terry

Stacef

I like to do 10% per week, mainly just because it's less water to be carrying around... Is it beneficial?? I am unsure if the 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly would be more beneficial.

Rue

As a rule the more the better, but I was having good luck with 10% weekly and I'm back doing the weekly changes again.

The other nice thing is that 10% is a managable amount of water to change - much more and it can become an unwelcome chore (depending on the size of your tank).

AndtheBonus

Really I have noticed that everyone does something a little different. Some people do 10% every week and then some people to 10% every other week. The same goes for 20%, 25%, and I have even see people say they do 50% every other week. Really its up to you. I have a 24g Aquapod with no filtration except for my live rock so I like to do about a 5g water change every week. With less water in the tank because of sand and rock that is well over a 20% water change every week. Probably close to 25% so really its whatever works best for you and your tank!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The best advice is to "experiment" and find what works best for you and your tank. I like 10% a week because that amount "works" well for my equipment and schedule. From my point of view 10%/week or 20%/ every other week are both excellent ideas. Kudos to you for realizing and accepting this procedure. Your tank is going to be better off for it. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you do 50% water changes are you not sending your tank back into a cycle?

Not unless you cause some die-off from the water change. Contrary to what many people think the majority of your bacteria isn't suspended in the water column. It's in your rock and sand and changing water doesn't "change out" the bacteria.

Now if you make a mistake and for some reason the newly mixed water doesn't
match the existing tank water you could create some type of die-off and this could cause a cycle.