Water change story thread!

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hated dumping 5 gallon buckets into the tank, always got it everywhere. So I got smart. I got a maxi-jet 1200 to use to lift the water up into the tank. First time I tried it I plugged in the pump with the Jose draped over the top of the tank. The mj1200 kicked on with enough force to shoot the hose up and off of the tank, sending fresh salt water everywhere.
Got pissed. Cleaned up.
Second attempt. Held the hose while plunging in the mj1200. Pumped up no problem. Bucket drained, unplugged pump. Went to fetch next bucket of water. Come back to find the hose end was under water in the DT, so the mj back siphoned into the 5 gallon bucket. Another 4 gallons on the floor.
Pissed again. Cleaned again.
When all was said and done, I made 30 gallons on fresh salt water for a 12 gallon water change. Not to mention the splashed water that came out of the tank.
Live and learn.

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

sikpupy

Hated dumping 5 gallon buckets into the tank, always got it everywhere. So I got smart. I got a maxi-jet 1200 to use to lift the water up into the tank. First time I tried it I plugged in the pump with the Jose draped over the top of the tank. The mj1200 kicked on with enough force to shoot the hose up and off of the tank, sending fresh salt water everywhere.
Got pissed. Cleaned up.
Second attempt. Held the hose while plunging in the mj1200. Pumped up no problem. Bucket drained, unplugged pump. Went to fetch next bucket of water. Come back to find the hose end was under water in the DT, so the mj back siphoned into the 5 gallon bucket. Another 4 gallons on the floor.
When all was said and done, I made 30 gallons on fresh salt water for a 12 gallon water change. Not to mention the splashed water that came out of the tank.
Live and learn.

Sweeeeet, lol. Yea, definitly forgot about the back siphon a few times also, though, I think I am just part of the 1 gallon club as for now. Thats okay, I have a few years to go so maybe I can catch up and be a member of the 20 club soon. :eek:

Camille

After numerous times forgetting about the RO water I now set my alarm on my phone to remind me to turn it off. It's usually on for about 4 hours at a time. This almost always works unless... you are an hours drive away when the alarm goes off - doh - it's a long drive home knowing you're going to come home to another flood to clean up :(

But - good story in the end - I think my other half was so sick of me flooding the laundry he's given be 1/4 of the garage for all my fish stuff - yay!!!

engineer goby

I tend to water my carpet with the wast water. Without fail while I siphon out the water I'm paying attention to the hose in the tank and not the other end that is no longer in my bucket put hanging over my carpet.

dmatt88

Got pissed. Cleaned up.
Live and learn.

Haha. Dude that's hilarious.

........the mayor votes funlad for president!

sk8rdn

dmatt88 said:
Haha. Dude that's hilarious.

It wasn't at the time. But I am glad I put in waterproof flooring when I started renovating. It saved me from an argument over watering the carpets.

Built347

My fishroom floor is not water proof... I just lie to myself and claim it is to make me feel better..

sk8rdn

Built347 said:
My fishroom floor is not water proof... I just lie to myself and claim it is to make me feel better..

When my daughter started crawling I did some research to replace the old carpets in our new house. Found a plank flooring made if pvc material. Looks like wood. Snaps together. Water tight. Great choice for dogs kids and potty training. Not to mention reefing. :)
I ordered it online from a place in Indiana, I believe.

Built347

When my daughter started crawling I did some research to replace the old carpets in our new house. Found a plank flooring made if pvc material. Looks like wood. Snaps together. Water tight. Great choice for dogs kids and potty training. Not to mention reefing. :)
I ordered it online from a place in Indiana, I believe.

I have this new stuff called" saltwater treated Berber carpet".. its waterproof... nobody can tell me different... lmao...

DesertOrchid

I'm lucky enough to have pristine well water so I don't have to mess with RODI water overflows but spent years hauling sw in 5 gal buckets for water changes till I decided to get smart and bought two 22 gal rubbermaid containers. The first was used for fresh mixed sw... used 2 powerheads for the mixing. The second container was filled with waste water and then I marked on the back side of the tank 10 and 20 gallon marks. Now depending on which tank and how much I want to remove I use my trusty python to siphon out into the sink. Shut the valve off at the vac tube and then put the open end of the tubing into the discharge end of the powerhead, turn the valve on and pump the water back to the tank. Water change takes about 20 minutes and not much water on the floor. Don't think there is anything such thing as a 'dry' water change. On a flooding note... had a wet/dry filter on my old 100............ flooded the carpet on a regular basis. Now used as a junk collector in the shed. LOL!

Built347

I shot this video today and my fishroom went into complete khaos after I shut off the camera. .. I got in the apex and shut off the Skimmer pump.. I'm guessing the reverse siphon back out the pump blew off the air line... so as I'm upstairs watching TV, I remember hey,, I didn't turn the Skimmer back on.. so I hop on my laptop and switch it on... a minute later I see bubbles in the DT upstairs ..... ran the whole pump chamber dry.. I'm guessing 35-40 gallons on the floor... I'm laughing now but I wasn't. Lol.. and right after a freakin waterchange.. NO water to refill with... so I had to fill up the drum again.... on the bright side.. 110g waterchange today.. everything is enjoying the fresh water.

I even said in the video that I can't get my water change right without flooding. . Gave myself badluck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Uisf1GONI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Built347

Matt I didn't just water the carpet today... I watered almost half my basement.. this was the biggest flood so far.. wtf lol

tommyboynj

I've got a pretty good system down now but have had few mishaps. Not so long ago i was doing a wc and got distracted. Next thing I know my 4 yo daughter is saying "Daddy, my feet are wet". Last time I used a 5 g bucket for the waste water.

Now I use a Large trash can to mix my water. I have a bunch of 7 gallon water containers with faucets on them which I store ro water in. I have my trash can marked at 7 and 14 gallons. I mix and heat my water. Transfer back to the empty containers in the garage. Then I siphon off from the tank to the desired mark. That way I'm taking out what I'm putting in. Finally I never toss old water until I'm done. I'd rather put old water back to top of in the event of a screw up than just mixed salt water. All in all I'm done in about 30 mins including skimmer cleaning etc.

dmatt88

Matt I didn't just water the carpet today... I watered almost half my basement.. this was the biggest flood so far.. wtf lol

Well buddy u added so far. That's the realist in u. However that sucks. Been there. Grab a dehumidifier. Salt $60. Ro/di unit $200. Dehumidifier. Priceless. What's on the floors? Carpet?

Built347

After waking up in the Kongo rainforest thismorning.. I went and got one... I don't feel any change but its filled 8qt container twice today..
IMG_20120408_201123.jpg

Built347

And just the fishroom is carpet..the rest is ceramic.. that's about to change tho... I'm having at least monthly floods.. I can deny the fact that my carpet is not waterproof no longer.. it just plain old F'd up now..

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I hate to do this to you but I'm going to fill you in on how I do my water changes in the fish room. One of my tanks is right in front of a small north facing window. I run a 10' hose from the tank, out the window and into the gravel. The ATO is a 35gal barrel. Right next to the ATO is my 35gal mixing barrel. I move the ATO pump (a mag 3) from the RO barrel to the mixing barrel. I go outside and suck on the hose from the tank. Water drains from the tank, it's replaced to the sump from the mixing barrel by the ATO pump. 35 gallons takes less than 10 minutes to change. No buckets to deal with at all.

My RO/DI unit is under my kitchen sink which is about 50' from the fish room. I have a 100' hose from RO/DI unit that I coil up when not in use under the sink and when I need water just uncoil it and pull it to the fish room. 35 gallons takes a while to make so when I'm home in the evening I'll stretch it to the fish room and let it run. My number 1 rule when making water is I only make it when I'm home. If I'm not home I don't make water. I have yet to flood the fish room.

Built347

I think my problem is that my station changes 55gallons in about 4 minutes.. and if I'm not watching it something will probably happen.. but lately its been the Skimmer making messes.