Water change question.

Shagon

I have a 50gal tank. I have 4 fish and some snails and and crabs. I was wondering how often I should change my water. I am using a hob filter that is rated for 90gal. The water is testing on spot.

I was thinking once per month with my current bio load.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Check out this poll - it's related to 34 gallon & 65 gallon tanks

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...w-often-do-you-do-water-changes-your-rsm.html

I do mine weekly - 15%

this link is to pics of these tanks, if interested... hope this helps...
009.gif

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/37227-full-tank-rsm-photos.html

OHreefer

My advice is find what works for you. Some do weekly, others every two weeks, others once a month. Find your own balance and see what works for you, and be consistent with it! There isn't one answer for all reef tanks.

Last edited:

Shamus

Great advice above. It also depends on whether it's a FOWLR or reef - a reef will be more demanding on elements in the water and a water change is a good way to make sure things like calcium and alkalinity are in check.

Johnly

I have done the 2 week and monthly change routine....that just leaves room for more inconsistency...weekly is better in any reef, FOWLR, FOT, no matter what the circumstance! The old timers will tell you that too ; )

Be consistent, and have the healthier tank!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here's "Allen's Thought".... take em for what you paid for em :)

When everything is "Well" in my tanks I aim for 10%(min) a week. This amount works out good for how I do my water change ( the WC container just happens to have an easy to identify mark molded in that when used is 10% of the tank). I shoot for weekly but if something comes up and I don't get to it and have to wait a week I'm only out 1 additional week. If I were on a MONTH cycle (which is pushing it for my tanks) an additional week can start to effect water parameters. For my tanks the monthly change just doesn't give me the Warm n Fuzzy feeling that I like to have and it leaves little room for "life's hurdles".

Now if there are any "Issues" with the tank I immediately bump up the amount and frequency to help compensate for the issue.

proenca

Like everyone said : change what works for you.

usually 10 to 15% weekly or bi weekly its a good rule of thumb, but can increase if :

- need to take or adjust some parameter ( low on alk or high on phosphate for exp )
- have high fish stock and high no3
- lot of hard corals and use water changes to replenish calcium and other salts to the aquarium

so you really need to find a confortable spot with it.

best regards