Water change mix smells

Tuna

Hi. I hope this is the right place to ask..
I just switched salt from instant ocean to red sea coral pro and the water had a chemical smell to it.. I've only used oceanic, instant ocean,and reef crystals in the past and have never had an odor of any kind. The r.o. Water has no smell and the container had no smell prior. I plan on a water change Sunday and if it smells still I don't think I'll use it.

It has a chemical smell that I can't describe and it was strong enough to smell standing near the container.

Thank you in advance :0)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Seachem new Salinity ... I read lots of post that say it smells... many say like rotten eggs... I use it & it does have a "different smell"

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
For whatever it's worth... I think the new Red Sea salt... came out to compete with the new Salinity... this could be related

fyi - The new Red Sea salt was received in the US only a couple of weeks ago...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'll agree with the comments from Glenn. I've been using SeaChem Salinity salt for a while now. When I made my first batch I was concerned as it had what seemed like a sulfur smell when the salt was added. Since I age my SW a week I did some checking and the smell is what other users encountered. SeaChem has said the smell is to be expected due to the concentrated nature of some of the elevated levels in the salt (stronger than most salts). The smell is only noted when first adding salt to water, and is gone as it ages. I've been using it for quite a while now with no problems at all.

Red Sea has just come out with a new version of the Pro salt (black bucket), with elevated levels of some elements, and I'm thinking the smell may be related to the same causes as with the Salinity salt.

I'd wait for an answer from RedSeaKev - the Red Sea Rep. that is pretty good at replying pretty quickly. I think the salt is probably fine, but just an educated guess.

Tuna

Perhaps I over reacted.. It's doesn't have any smells to now..oops! But I'm still unsure :rollingey

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It may have had the odor at first, but it disappears with mixing (at least it does with Salinity salt). I don't think you overreacted - better to be safe. It's the same way I felt when mixing the first batch of seaChem Salinity.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi. I hope this is the right place to ask..
I just switched salt from instant ocean to red sea coral pro and the water had a chemical smell to it.. I've only used oceanic, instant ocean,and reef crystals in the past and have never had an odor of any kind. The r.o. Water has no smell and the container had no smell prior. I plan on a water change Sunday and if it smells still I don't think I'll use it.

It has a chemical smell that I can't describe and it was strong enough to smell standing near the container.

Thank you in advance :0)

Hi Folks,
sorry for the late reply, Red Sea salt production goes through numerous quality checks at many stages, all batches are lot numbered and checked before getting to point where the Salt can be shipped and a reference sample of every batch is kept for a considerable length of time.

In the unlikely event that there is an issue with the salt please contact your Red Sea distributor and they will assist you further or feel free to contact me and I will assist as best I can.

Red Sea Kev