Was just thinking, strange but what if?

What if you were to unexpectedly die, what would happen to your fish & tanks? May sound crazy, but I have been having some health issues & have to go see a cardiologist next week. Which that is scary thought in itself, guess I've been thinking too much lately. If something were to happen to me or a car wreck or god knows what, I wonder what would be my tanks fate also. I have a will for everything else, husband & child would be taken care of, dogs, cats would be fine. But my husband isnt into the hobby & doesnt want to be, would take it all down & my son too young to do it by himself. So I think I'm gonna come up with a mini list of what to do. I would want my fish buddies to have everything that love this hobby along with me & hubby doesnt even know them. Has anyone else ever thought about this? I am not crazy or wierd, just too much time on my hands today, lol.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I have thought about it and figure it's the least of things for my loved ones to consider in my untimely passing. I know my wife has no interest in the hobby aside from seeing my enjoyment and enjoying the beauty herself. Perhaps, she would develop an interest or just sell it, or give it away. I realize there will be bigger issues to deal with, and attend to, other than my tank.

I wish you the best Michelle!

Scott, you are totally right. I'm just one of those that has to have a plan for everything, "got to always have my ducks in a row". Like I said, too much time on my hands today. I need to go find a book or something....

untilthen

i have actually thought of this as well... my parents wouldnt really know what to do with my tank but my girlfriend would either take it herself in memory of me or just give it all away to my fish buddies...

im sure she would at least take care of the mantis :angel2:

Rue

It's a totally valid concern. I'm also concerned about the well-being of my parrots...since they're able to outlive me...even if I live a loooooooooooooong time...

In my case...the tanks would be likely be dismantled...and the livestock donated to the LFS (if he's still around! If he's not, I'd prepare a list of fellow reefers for the family to call)...

Hope you get good news at your appointment!

faust

i guess i'm lucky that my wife is completely involved in this hobby. i usually do her tank maintaince at her office. due to the surgery i couldn't, that didn't stop her. she ordered her office girls to bring tank tops cause they were gonna get wet. i only wish i was there to see 4 girls, the tallest 5'5" trying to clean the 175. she did drive me down to see what they had done and i was impressed!

lcstorc

Michelle, I think I may have you beat on this one.
I not only have plans for my animals including tanks and fish should I pass on, but living in hurricane/fire alley, I have evacuation plans for most of my animals including some of the fish. It's unrealistic to think I could catch or transport them all but there are several that are closest to me that I could get to fairly quickly.
This of course assumes I have some notice, but with hurricanes we have that.
For the plans after I move on, it helps that we have 4 kids who are all animal lovers.

Before I even got my first fish tank, I made my plans. My niece is very interested in all the fish and will get everything once I am gone. Having lost 6 loved ones in the past year, I was super careful to make plans for them just in case. What she doesn't want, the lfs will take back and she can sell or keep the tanks that get emptied. I even left her my home with arrangements made for taxes to be paid so she has a place to keep my fish and cats. Once they all expire, she gets everything. :)

Michelle; I hope everything turns out ok at the cardio appointment.

This is something that we need to think about as well. I'm sure ours would be taken down and sold/given to other reefers. Our 8 year old loves it, but not able to care for a 180 by himself.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think Michelle needs ANOTHER tank to take care of :D

Keep me posted on the Cardio stuff!!!!

did the Lion Bite hit close to home? How are ya feeling now?

sambrinar

Michelle, since we are the same age, I believe, you'd better be OK! Good luck at the dr. And stop over thinking! Lol

My hubby would just sell off the tank

Thanks guys for all the replies. I know everything will be fine, just sucks realizing your mind doesnt age as fast as your body, lol. I had 2 friends, one my age & the other 1 year younger die suddenly from heart attacks last year & my husband had a heart attack last year. Now I'm having some issues. Just gets me to thinking too much at times.

Anyway, no Al I do not need another tank!!! Want one though, lol! And yes the lion incident didnt help matters either, talk about heart pounding.

So I asked hubby & he said he would definately keep the 125 FO tank. The reef tank, he said "are you crazy, no way in h***! I wouldnt touch that thing. " Way too much work, he was clueless & I better tell him who I want to have it.

:) :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Anyway, no Al I do not need another tank!!! Want one though, lol! And yes the lion incident didnt help matters either, talk about heart pounding.

I thought you sounded pretty "panic stricken" on the phone. I didn't recognize the # so I almost didn't answer but then I thought "better just in case it's URGENT" :)

....I better tell him who I want to have it.

:) :)

Spelled Allen and just give him My number :D LOL!!

leahski

my friends and i were talking the other day about how cool it would be to have a living heirloom, like a turtle. But how cool would it be to have a tank that was passed down from previous generations? what a cool link to the past.

interesting concern, i definitely understand and i hope all goes well for you!

Stacef

I am lucky in this situation. Jeremy is loving the hobby more and more everyday. I know that he would continue the tank, knowing that's what I'd want done. He has a relationship with our puffer that I don't. The puffer reacts to him like it's the best day of his life when Jeremy walks up to the tank. I know that he would never let any of the fish leave, and would eventually set up my empty 220 because that is my dream someday!

Hope your cardio appt goes well, best of luck to you!

Well Ill put it this way you'll be fine we dont plan on losing a good reefer friend. i figured when i die i want my step daughter to have my tank beings my wife doesnt like it and my daughter loves the tanks shes only two but she would still get them anyway she has uncle sean to help her out.... other then that i think it would be in my best decision to a part out to all reefer friends so everyone can enjoy the part of me thats still there but i think about this stuff alot. when i got my street bike i am really into racing and stuff like that but i rode it for about a year and sold it due to i got to many other things to worry about like my wife and kids... so its the fineer things in life that keep us going and staying strong.. but i hope the best for you and everything will go ok........