Wanted - Tips for catching our Blue Hippo Tang

Nobbygas

That is the same as my fish trap, but mine has a sliding door (up and down) with a thin piece of plastic wire attached to operate it. It is easy just to drop the door down when fish are inside. As I've said elsewhere, I also use it to introduce new fish. I put them in the trap and leave the door closed for an hour or two. Then I open the door and the new fish is free to swim out, but they have the added safety feature of being able to return to the box if threatened, and the established fish stay away from the box as it's 'new'.

Pat24601

I finally trapped this bully Tang He's going to the lfs. took me 5 days trapped him for the 3rd time !
I know it's a long story.

But really discol's idea is great !

Wow! Yeah. It sounded good when I read it. How’d it go ?

Reactions: SPR

cracker

I kept putting this fish in time out for longer periods of time.In which time I was adding morefish
After this last 4 months of time out in a 20 long, I tried one more time & sure enough it was just minutes it was chasing "all" the others ! Trapping this guy took a long time ! I think somewhere back in his head he knew to be wary. But greed was his downfall ! I My LFS says he will give me considerationon another fish in trade. I want a blue hippo & around these parts they are pricey these days .
Any way I like fish traps I have a 99% success rate using them. Also, I think they are about the least stressful way to remove a problem fish . You can also clamp it to another sump/tank for temp & acclimation . Sometimes it takes a lot of patience . Sometimes the fish swims right in !
Thanks for allowing me to bust in on who's thread this is.

here is an older thread on fishtraps.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/fish-trap.9649/#post-350593

Last edited: