Wanted - Tips for catching our Blue Hippo Tang

Roy Page

We have decided to take our Blue Hippo Tang back to the LFS :eek:h:
He is so fast around the tank, have failed to net him at two attempts.

Tips please, how to catch a fish without harming him or the corals in the tank ?
Roy

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have one of these in my amazon cart, will eventually get it.

fishtrap

218W%2B4jQXNL.jpg

sirrealism

I wish I had better news for you but the last couple times I tried I ended up taking all the rock and coral out. There are fish traps but I dont know if it will work on a tang. They are just to fast. Can i ask why your taking him back?

Roy Page

Can i ask why your taking him back?

This Tang is a favorite fish, but having read all the problems of stunted growth in a smaller tank, we have decided to do the right thing and let him go to a bigger home. I think it is a good decision as we only have the C-250. Got to catch the guy first though !
Roy

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks Mark,
Have you used one ?
Can't see what you do to release the trap when the correct fish is inside.
Roy

A friend of mine has this exact trap.
You tie some fishing line to the trap mechanism and "spring" it when the fish is inside.
I believe a tang would be super easy, as mine eats like a pig.
Just don't feed the fish for a day or 2, load the trap up with food, done deal.
The trap also holds water when turned, so you can easily transport the fish.

Roy, I fixed my comment, there's a spring mechanism on the top by the hole that gets sprung.
Line does not get tied to the door.

Oxylebius

If the fish trap doesn't work, figure out where the fish sleeps and grab the fish a couple hours after lights out. Easier to nab that way.

Choff

Get yourself a small barbless hook, a 6 pack and go fishin'

...stupid auto correct

Pat24601

My LFS sold me a similar fish trap. They say it works well, but is an exercise in patience. I've never used it as I only bought it in case I need it someday...

Pat24601

This Tang is a favorite fish, but having read all the problems of stunted growth in a smaller tank, we have decided to do the right thing and let him go to a bigger home. I think it is a good decision as we only have the C-250. Got to catch the guy first though !
Roy

Is there a time period for which he might be fine in your tank? I really don't know. I know my LFS was saying if I wanted a yellow tang I could probably do one for a year or two while he grew up and then take him back.(Or something like that. I didn't feel like doing that so I wasn't paying careful attention).

I know the blue tang is roomier than the yellow, though.

GregT

Catching fish is a good excuse for aquascaping. I've had great success with the fish traps but have had to revert to the net most times.
For the tangs after lights out is good if you can get it, otherwise if the rock it sleeps in is small enough you could try taking the rock out at night complete with the tang and put it in another tank or bucket of saltwater until you could coax it out?

Jerry Shepherd

If the fish trap doesn't work, figure out where the fish sleeps and grab the fish a couple hours after lights out. Easier to nab that way.
so what if he cuts you with his tail?? is this not a lil risky?? Im trying to catch a 3-1/2 in now in a acrylic acclimator/trap/ Hes too smart , almost had him a while ago. Tripping the trap without him seeing you is hard

DaveK

I wish I had better news for you but the last couple times I tried I ended up taking all the rock and coral out. There are fish traps but I dont know if it will work on a tang. They are just to fast. Can i ask why your taking him back?

This is most likely what you'll end up doing. Although sometimes you get lucky with a trap, so try that first.

The other alternative is to upgrade to that much larger tank you always wanted, and move the fish as part of the upgrade (grin).

Pat24601

This thread is super old, but I’ve literally never got a fish trap to work. After my last attempt, I gave it away to goodwill just so I wouldn’t be tempted to use it ever again. It was that frustrating.

BTW, for those paying attention, this is the same fish trap I was commenting 4 years ago about having just bought about 5 posts up. :) It didn’t work out.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

I use a fish trap to introduce new fish. After about 24 hrs, the thing is bloody full of fish. At times I've seen up to five fish in there at the same time ! But you just know, you know, that if I wanted to use it to trap a fish, then they wouldn't go near the thing !

Last edited:

discol76

Best trap I've seen was just a standard plastic tub with a hole cut in the side. Place the food in it for a day or two until the fish are comfortable with it then just place a net over the hole when the desired fish is in the box. The tub was positioned just under the surface. I've got pics of it somewhere. I'll try to find it. He caught almost every fish in his tank at one time or another.