Wait for new RSM E series?

Tahiti

I recently watched a video on BRS YouTube channel about the upcoming RSM E series tanks with LED's. I've been thinking about picking up a RSM C-250 but with these new tanks coming out next year do you suggest I wait?

I know the RSM C series have issues with overheating and seeing that these tanks have an open top and LEDs I don't think that will be a problem.

Here's the video I am referring to btw.

[video=youtube_share;9AsLHsIbg9M]http://youtu.be/9AsLHsIbg9M[/video]

Naj117

Defo wait for E series, I've got a 650 and the heat the T5's generate turn my living room into a sauna by the evening

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Looks like E Series will be nice !

I know the RSM C series have issues with overheating

fyi - I don't believe this is true, it's a misleading statement IMO - my stock RSM 250 runs 81F no chiller & this IMO is optimal, I would think the RSM C series would be the same. Most corals in the oceans live at this temp & higher - several thread & post on the subject, so I would not wait, if this was your only concern, imo nothing wrong with T5's, though I am sure their new LEDs will be great. Just giving you some food for thought...

Cheers for sharing the BRS Vid !

Last edited:

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Tahiti, I am not quite sure where you have your information from ? but we do not have an issue with C Max 250 overheating, may be you can elaborate please.

Irene

I agree with Glenn & Kev, I'm running a stock 250C I run the rear fans and don't have an issue with overheating, what I do have a problem with is I bought my 250C in February this year and I now find out that one year later this new series comes out, now I realize that things move on but one year is ridiculous, even if the led's are backward compatible with my tank I assume it's going to cost me a lot more money :mad: I done a lot of research before I bought the tank and because Red Sea were so against led's I assumed they knew what they were talking about, now they do a complete U turn !!.

Sorry guys about the rant but as you can probably tell this issue has really bugged me :verymad:

Irene

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
I agree with Glenn & Kev, I'm running a stock 250C I run the rear fans and don't have an issue with overheating, what I do have a problem with is I bought my 250C in February this year and I now find out that one year later this new series comes out, now I realize that things move on but one year is ridiculous, even if the led's are backward compatible with my tank I assume it's going to cost me a lot more money :mad: I done a lot of research before I bought the tank and because Red Sea were so against led's I assumed they knew what they were talking about, now they do a complete U turn !!.

Sorry guys about the rant but as you can probably tell this issue has really bugged me :verymad:

Irene

Hi Irene, I am sorry that you have a problem with Red Sea moving into LED, this is not a case of performing a U turn at all, we have spent considerable time and resources in development ensuring the when we bring LED to the market on a Max aquarium it will be safe and effective, we have explained this in the statement that was made previously, 1 year in the aquatic industry is an eternity in development time and things do move very quickly.

We stated the following back in 2013.

The promise of a MAX® coral reef system is that it provides a complete, plug & play, reef spec® aquarium for all levels of hobbyists without having to worry about the choice, compatibility and suitability of the equipment.

All of the products that Red Sea develops for reef hobbyists, including the MAX systems, start with understanding the biological needs of the corals. This approach has enabled us to develop our "Reef-Spec" which defines the environmental conditions necessary for successfully maintaining SPS corals in a reef aquarium.

Lighting is an important part of the Reef-Spec definition and our research over many years has clearly shown that T5 fluorescent lighting provides all of the needs of corals in a simple and safe way. Furthermore, T5 usage requires no expertise or understanding by the hobbyist and will support all of the major species of SPS corals in all areas of the MAX aquarium.

The move from Metal Halide and Fluorescent lighting to LED lighting for aquariums in general (and reef tanks in particular) has not been driven by the needs of the corals, but by the move within the lighting industry towards more energy efficient systems.

Without getting into the technical details, it is sufficient to say that there are significant differences between LED lighting and T5, and unless LED light is applied knowledgeably to an aquarium it can cause harm to the corals. Many hobbyists are investing a lot of time in learning how to adapt the LED lights that are available on the market to their reefs, with various levels of success.

In keeping with the lighting industry's advances in this field, Red Sea's goal is to be able to provide MAX aquariums with LED lighting that can safely ensure at least similar coral growth, coloration, vitality and longevity to that currently achieved in our T5-driven MAX systems.

Red Sea's development team is currently evaluating LED lighting for use with the MAX aquariums and we hope to be able to offer a reef safe LED lighting solution within the near future.

Irene

Sorry Kev,

I didn't read every statement that Red Sea sent out !! can you tell me if the led's will be compatible with my tank, I would love led's but went with Red Sea because I trusted they knew best re T5 lighting, I was really loving my tank and this has taken the shine off it.

Irene

Danreef

The RSM 250 series have the hood and the all in one concept that is great in my opinion. You will have to built a cover for the E serie or you will find fish and hermit crabs in the floor. That is the issue I see on them. I love when things are factory made to fit perfectly with the tank. How are you going to fit a lid in the E serie with the LED legs on the tank border.

I am sure that sooner or later RED SEA will be ofering a LED kit for the RSM MAX 250 series and others. That make sence to me. I will be waiting that kit.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Irene - on the new leds coming out... I look at it like this... I bought my wife a new 2014 Toyota Camry, the next week, I read the new 2015 were coming out this fall will a redesign & new bells & whistles, if I had waited a few more months, I would have got the newer "improvements" but she loves her 2014 too.

The 2014 model has been the same exact for many years, since 2010 I believe. So when I see the new E series RSM, I kind of look at it the same... just my thoughts, you never know when you buy a product when new models will come out - and it's fair to say... T5 are proven & lots of very lovely tanks full of corals with them, when Red Sea moves into LEDs I bet, a year later, models will be improved again. I remember members buying RSM 130 & then the 130D came out with many improvements and I am sure someone bought a RSM 250 then saw the C250 come out. Leds are improving at a rapid rate, seems every year, for the same price you could get a better light, than the one you just bought.

and the closed hood is a very nice bonus when it come to jumping fish, I would not be surprised to see RS one day incorporate leds into a closed hood.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
As Glenn stated, the T5s can grow coral just fine at the temps the tank stays at. It's the noise that the fans in the hood and the cooling fans make that would influence my decision. They are not quiet. After saying all that, I don't think I'd have the patience to wait even though I'd rather have the E series but if you do, wait it out.

I as well just purchased the new c250 2 weeks ago. I spent the last 2 years waiting for this model to come out, Since it is my first tank I wanted the best and most user friendly tank available for a someone like me, a beginner! With all respect, I'm in love with my tank and don't have any issues other than a few small changes that I personally want to make (that is part of the whole reef building experience) But not understanding why the new tank was not updated with LEDs to only see that a newer tank one year later will be replaced with is a bit demoralizing. The first 250 was out for almost 6 years before the c model. Seems like a marketing move rather then a random and sudden technical development! I trusted the T5s because you told me to now two weeks later I learn that LEDs are "the future". I'm sure I will enjoy my c250 and go on building a great reef, after all the money I spent on old technology, I really don't have any other choice. :verymad:

Danreef

I as well just purchased the new c250 2 weeks ago. I spent the last 2 years waiting for this model to come out, Since it is my first tank I wanted the best and most user friendly tank available for a someone like me, a beginner! With all respect, I'm in love with my tank and don't have any issues other than a few small changes that I personally want to make (that is part of the whole reef building experience) But not understanding why the new tank was not updated with LEDs to only see that a newer tank one year later will be replaced with is a bit demoralizing. The first 250 was out for almost 6 years before the c model. Seems like a marketing move rather then a random and sudden technical development! I trusted the T5s because you told me to now two weeks later I learn that LEDs are "the future". I'm sure I will enjoy my c250 and go on building a great reef, after all the money I spent on old technology, I really don't have any other choice. :verymad:

You have not spent money in old technology. If you buy LEDS for your RSM 250 you will have a better tank than the E series. My opinion. And I understand if you do not agree.

Irene

That's one of my main problems as well, the T5's are fine but the noise from the fans is very loud, I don't expect a tank to run silently but surely it could run quieter than this, I like the lid on my tank and never really wanted an open top one, maybe one day Red Sea will bring out led's that will fit in the hood and give us owners a nice wee discount :shades:

Anyway to finish off, this may sound like a real contradiction, but I love my tank and if I was in the market right now to buy my tank I don't think I would wait for the E series, I like the look of the closed tank to much.

Irene

As Glenn stated, the T5s can grow coral just fine at the temps the tank stays at. It's the noise that the fans in the hood and the cooling fans make that would influence my decision. They are not quiet. After saying all that, I don't think I'd have the patience to wait even though I'd rather have the E series but if you do, wait it out.

Pat24601

I had similar feelings to some others in that I just bought my C-250 and wondered if I made a mistake when I saw this post in not waiting for E because the LEDs was the one thing I really debated about with this tank. But, I'm not really that patient to wait for the E-series if it will be next year, I guess.

I also like the closed look better and it makes it somewhat less likely my boys will throw stuff in the tank, but I'm not sure how valid a point that is. :)

Regardless, I think the C-250 it will be an awesome tank. So, I'm good with it.

Danreef

That's one of my main problems as well, the T5's are fine but the noise from the fans is very loud, I don't expect a tank to run silently but surely it could run quieter than this, I like the lid on my tank and never really wanted an open top one, maybe one day Red Sea will bring out led's that will fit in the hood and give us owners a nice wee discount :shades:

Anyway to finish off, this may sound like a real contradiction, but I love my tank and if I was in the market right now to buy my tank I don't think I would wait for the E series, I like the look of the closed tank to much.

Irene
If you refer to the surface tank fans, yes they are noisy. But I discover that with the chiller I do not need them. So I took them out and used the hole to pass wires and the dosing tubes. I have a RSM 250 that the back is fully closed. Not like the RSM C 250 that has a big opening.

Daniel

CDMSeaLife

Looks like E Series will be nice !

fyi - I don't believe this is true, it's a misleading statement IMO - my stock RSM 250 runs 81F no chiller & this IMO is optimal, I would think the RSM C series would be the same. Most corals in the oceans live at this temp & higher - several thread & post on the subject, so I would not wait, if this was your only concern, imo nothing wrong with T5's, though I am sure their new LEDs will be great. Just giving you some food for thought...

Cheers for sharing the BRS Vid !

Just chiming in. I have the RSM 250C and even though I do have chiller, I'm not sure I needed it. Without the chiller the highest temp got was 82 degrees, and I live in Las Vegas. However, water vaporization is a lot less with the fans off and chiller running. Hope this helps. Let me just say if RSM does not come out with LED retro fit for all of us RSM 250 & 130's owners , that's going to really suck. I really don't want to go with Steve's Led I've done that and they are not that easy to install. IMO

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here this latest I have read on the subject, from Red Sea, I have not seen anything from Red Sea, that moved up the timeline from sometime in 2015.

thanks for the interest in our new all-led aquariums, which were previewed in June at the Interzoo show in Germany.
We are not yet in a position to confirm delivery dates so for now it is best to ignore any rumours, as they really are nothing more than this. However, we can confirm that the S-Series will be going to full led along with the all-new E-Series. We will also be inviting existing S-Series customers to upgrade their lighting to the led system at a very competitive price. No more details are available as yet but to keep up to date we suggest people subscribe to our newsletter at www.redseafish.com

JEMM55

Love my original rsm 250 with the curved glass. Chiller on the unit works superbly and everything fits nicely in the cabinet.
Quiet as the dead and my wife doesnt give me grief.

Yes, the room is a bit warmer than the other rooms with the t5's but ...these t5's have a proven track record which I am happy to run with.

I am wondering if the optional sump/refugium will be compatible with the older 250's. The custom build from lifereef is off the charts expensive. For a few bucks more I could probably buy a new e series but I love the closed top look better anyways.

Just my opinion in this rant.

Cheers