Wai's 92gal (corner)

WaiWiliki

I'm sad to report I lost all but three of my fish last week.:nopity: :surrender: I've been very lazy with my tank these past few months and haven't been keeping up with my water changes. My nitrates and phosphates were pretty high when my protein skimmer pump quit on me. It took about a week for the new pump to come in the mail which should have been alright. I'm not totally convinced that my water parameters were the only culprit but I"m sure it didn't help. It was the day after I installed the new pump that it all went down hill. Here are some of my other theories:

1. high nitrates and phosphate
2. didn't rinse off new pump (never do this anyway)
3. chemicals from cleaning the house if i didn't rinse my hands enough before new pump install
4. overfeeding caught up to me
5. ALIENS!:alien: :alien:

I"m taking the bad water route now and already did a 30% water change with a bigger water change scheduled in a week or so. The one question I have is "If I do a total water change will that be sufficient or will my live rock still hold more of the bad stuff in it?" Should I get some RO water and soak the LR for awhile.

Here is what survived: 3x Chromis, 1 small starfish, snails, and one blood shrimp. I know some of you guys would like to hear that I got rid of my hermit crab, and I found one dead crab which I never knew was in there.

1Reefer

Bummer deal... I think this is the oldest thread I've posted on lol...

Hey good luck with the rebuild, I'm here for it

WaiWiliki

I'm a little discouraged to know that even with regular water changes it will take quite some time to get my tank back in order because of what the rock is going to leech back into the water. Part of me is thinking about getting a lobster trap and dropping off in a friend's back yard who has nice clean ocean water year round. The only downside I see is that I can't control the hitchhikers I might bring home on the rocks. I'm sure this process could cut the amount of time down by 75%. Do anyone think this is just a late night idea that just seems silly in the morning?

1Reefer

I'm dealing with the old rock leaching thing right now.... and honestly its not that bad. I let my tank go for 8 months, without doing any more than topping off evap. Thankfully the lights are timed, so I didn't lose any corals. I did lose all fish except a Lawnmower Blenny and a Pseudo.

I have noticed that the algae doesn't seem to spread, its just much slower in going away lol.. idk in my opinion, it would be just as much if not more work to find away around the issue.... again just my .2

WaiWiliki

Sounds like we were/are in the same mode. I haven't had much algae other than some buildup in the corners from low flow there but it hasn't been bad at all. Thanks for the twenty cents... I guess I just needed more than the standard rate at this point. :D

WaiWiliki

Dismantled my sump and fuge for a full cleaning and a light scrub. I"m really glad I did because I saw what might have been my downfall; nasty remnants of a fish. I'm not surprised to find this as the stand doens't have much room underneath and I can't see every nook and cranny. I decided to rearrage the tanks below and also removed the bubble tower which solved two problems at once.

1. can see if a fish gets stuck in there
2. gives the protein skimmer intake more clearance

WaiWiliki

I took a water sample to get tested today and found out everything was back to the ideal readings. I was real surprised because last week my nitrates were 20 and the phosphates were off the charts. I"m still a bit suspicious so I'm going to my regular LFS this week to double check.

Another item I'm wondering about is the where I took the sample from. I"m always in a rush to the LFS and just grabbed a sample off the top of the tank rather than a couple inches below the waterline. I'm thinking I had better results today because I made sure to sample at least 6 inches below the waterline. The previous tests may have had some of that film that gathers on top of the water. Is that mainly phosphate there?

Overall the tank is running well. Since I removed the bubble tower I have the overflow line with less of a complete drop, so now I'm not getting the gurgling in the sump. At the end of the line there is a T fitting where I have the the openings pointing up/down.

I'm putting in an order for the 36" aqualife t5 4 bulb fixture. I wanted to try and bridge this light onto my next tank, which will be most likely 48" long, but it isn't possible. One thing I have to figure out is how this 36" light is going to fit on the odd top of the corner tank. My stock light sits on the glass top but I don't think that is the preferred way to go with T5's. Suspension may be the easiest option.

WaiWiliki

I've done quite a few water changes about 25% each time. Its about all I can carry as I get my water from the LFS. My nitrates (15) are almost at a respectable level and I'm making head way on the phosphates which we through the roof. The level was unreadable and today its about a .5. I've been changing the phosphate remover media every week. I guess this good training to get back in the habit.

Got a call into a buddy who deals with water treatment (softners and such). I'd like to go out an buy a ro/di system to be dedicated to the tank but I"m discouraged by the fact I'm on a well system. I'm expecting that I'd have to change the filters quite often and it wouldn't be worth it. After my softners my TDS is about 450-600 and my current ro/di gets it down to 40ish. I used to use this water for topoff but at 3gpd a water change is unthinkable.

Anyway, light should be here tomorrow.

WaiWiliki

My T5 lights arrived. Need to figure out how to mount it on the weird shape of the corner tank. I have a glass top which I can set it directly onto. Is this a good idea? Not sure I want to build a support because I know it will lead to a canopy which I haven't planned for. One thing I do know is that suspension isn't an option unless i can convince the wife it won't look tacky.

Anyway, I'm watching the clock so I can leave and go play with it.

1Reefer

I am not a fan of glass tops, I have seen some pretty slick looking hanging setups as well...

I think people with glass tops have heat issues an stuff as well... somethin to look into

WaiWiliki

I have thought that as well. Currently I use the glass top for the standard T12 fluorescent light. The glass top supplied with the tank almost completely cover the top but you can remove sections of it. So this would only be over the center section of the tank as it has been for years. I'm sure the T5's run hotter but currently my tank idles at *78 mostly. (without a chiller)

I'll try it for a couple days while I figure something out.

Thanks 1Reefer...

WaiWiliki

So far I am quite impressed with the new light. (Aquaticlife 36" T5 HO) When researching which fixture to buy I wasn't particularly interested in the moonlights, but I'm a fan now. One thing I'm not thrilled about is that the light is picking up all the scratches in the glass. I've had this tank for over ten years now so the scratches are showing its age.

I have the fixture sitting atop the glass strip that comes with the tank. So far no heating has built up in the water.

DSC04770-1.JPG

Shot with the moonlights on. The pumps are turned off, to minimize the microbubbles for the picture, but when the flow is going it has a nice shimmer effect.
DSC04777-1.JPG

I added this anemone to the tank today because my daughter needed a house for our "Nemo". Do percula clownfish take to anemones? I assume they do but this guy isn't interested yet.
DSC04758-1.JPG

One thing I need to work on is my photography skills. These pictures don't do any justice at all. (even with the few things i have)

I'm not sure what my next project for this tank is but I'd like to start adding some easy corals. I've tip toed around with my FOWLR too long.

WaiWiliki

ugh!!! I scrubbed then rinsed the skimmer & sump a couple days ago and the microbubbles are driving me crazy! I didn't think it was that bad but my sponge at the end of the baffles started floating. I think I'll get a micro filter bag to put the tank&skimmer return into it.

Also, replaced a maxijet today for a koralia.

1Reefer

I feel your pain my friend, I hate micro bubbles! !! !!!! Lol

The bubble tips are very nice as well, but the seabae nems are my favs! I want one bad like.. lol

Good call on swapping out for the Koralia, much better pump for pushing water IMO

WaiWiliki

Microbubbles are history! well mostly anyway. I grabbed a filer sock from the LFS and it looks to have solved that issue. I also have the skimmer return going in there also.

My water seems to be back to normal levels so hopefully I have my maintenance routine on autopilot. It was a long road, with tons of water changes, to get back to normal. I did start to develop a small amount of hair algae on the sand/rocks so I adjusted the lighting schedule from the factory settings. I also got a half dozen mexican turbo snails that are doing an amazing job.

Here is a picture of a frag my buddy gave me last night. I don't really know the name of this but it looks like an 80's punk rock hair style. Rock on!!!

IMG00001-20100625-1755-small.JPG

1Reefer

GSP Green Star Polyps... fast growing and hardy, also easy to frag : ) good deal for you!

Tanks lookin good!

WaiWiliki

Thanks...

Here is a full tank picture as of today.
92gal_20100627.JPG

I think it looks better than the picture but what do you want for a $150 camera. :turntable

I do have something growing in the back I'm trying to get a picture for an ID. It's a red algae looking thing which grows like you would see half mushrooms growing from a tree. Will keep snapping pics.

1Reefer

Very cool Wai! Yeah, the pics never do the tanks justice... and I have to use my phone for all my pics! Lol

I think your tank looks great in the pic, I was just sayin I know what your talkin about, how they look better in person...