Wai's 92gal (corner)

Craig Manoukian

87 degrees is not uncommon in the wild reefs close to the equator. Ads long as the increased temp is gradual, usually no worries. Glad your stuff is doing fine.

WaiWiliki

Thanks... I didn't realize that some reefs do get that hot. I should have known because during my surfing trips to Costa Rica we have always noticed the warm waters. Sometimes it felt like we were sweating in the water.

My urchin came out and showed himself tonight so I snapped a picture. Hard to believe that he was in the live rock when I bought it. I did see him when before and he has definitely tripled in size.

92gal_05072007.JPG

92gal_050720071.JPG

Don't mind the cleaner shrimp whisker. I couldn't wait for him to move. :)

WaiWiliki

I just found this picture of my tank back in 2002 when I had it setup in my college apartment. This urchin attached to that floating thermometer and was floating around like a hot air balloon. It was something to see.

MVC-244F.JPG

WaiWiliki

Not the one I have now. This urchin is still pretty small but he does squeeze into some small spaces. So far I haven't noticed any rock shifting just coralline removal.

WaiWiliki

Tank is doing well since I haven't been able to devote the amount of time I'd like to spend on it. Also seeing I don't have many inhabitants I figured that water changes could wait and I'd let the skimmer and fug take over. After two months of neglect I did a 90% water change the other weekend. Talk about a LOW TIDE!!!

WaiWiliki

I finally figured out why my sea urchin was so fast. I've been amazed in his movements for the past few months and yesterday I found out I have two sea urchins. It took that long to see that them in the front of the tank together.

ScubaDrew

Nice dude! I want an urchin for sure, My stupid hermits knock things over all the time already, so I'm not too concerned!

WaiWiliki

Had some good news last night happen with the tank. I lost a clownfish and a goby last week. I wasn't totally surprised since I had two clownfish disappear already with no trace over the past year. I looked all over but since I didn't find the clownfish I gave up quickly and bought an anthias. Now to the good news. I've placed several mangrove seeds in my sump and proceeded to show my wife their progress when I found the clownfish swimming next to the skimmer. Upon further review, the goby was on the other side. I guess he went on a rescue mission to find nemo. ( sounds like a movie title...lol )

tbittner

Wow!!! I'm always amazed that these critters can make it down through the overflow and end up down in the sump, unharmed.

I'm glad you found them though! Are they back home now?

WaiWiliki

Yes!!! I did get them out after removal of the fan, skimmer, pump, fug return hose, 4 year old daughter, and a couple other items under the tank. The corner tanks don't have much room in there, so anything that is kept down there really needs to be removed before you have any room. The compartment those two fish were in was really small and they didn't put up a fight. They were stressed out so I put them in the display tank and turned the lights off. This morning they looked perfectly fine and were eating.

WaiWiliki

Been a long time since I've been here or done anything with the tank. I've slacked on my maintenance and fell into just refilling and feeding. Everyone looks healthy except for the refugium. I just found that the pump hasn't been working. I don't know how long but from the looks inside that tank it was long enough. I'll spare you the pictures. :willis: After this event, I decided I wanted to aquascape the main tank and I doing so I'd like to put my application into the BB club. I've started removing the sand with my last water change and should have the rest out during the next. I've been siphoning it out at that time as its by far the easiest. I have taken some of the light grating to set my rocks on to take the pressure points off the glass where I thought it really needed it. I need to get some more though. Its amazing with a little rockscaping my interest is back up again.

I think my problem is its time for a new tank I can totally plan out. I got the itch! (100-135 starphire tank with FLAT walls and room underneath)