Vortech MP40W Gen2...

brucewrs

Well,I broke down and bought one.I should have it next week...Those who have them,how do you like them?I hope its not too big for my RSM250?Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
question... how do the soft corals hold up with this much flow? or are you just keeping hard coral? I am just running stock now & my soft coral seems to be blown quite a bit much now... anyone have any input or thoughts related?

mrfishy

i only have lps and sps in the tank except xenia but not by choice, i just cant stop it growing :surrender: :surrender:
the sps love the high flow but with carefull rockwork you can protect the lps that don't like the high flow although after a while they get used to it

TonyV

Wow 2 Vortechs in a RSM 130! I have the MP 20 and just recently unplugged it. It's too big for my taste and detracts from the tank. I am probably going to sell it and replace it with a MP10. My few faults with the pump are...#1 it's really big (pictures are deceiving) and powerful, #2 it can't be aimed into trouble spots like a Koralia, and #3, I wish it had a power button on the power head that didn't loose memory settings so I could quickly turn it off for tank maintenance. The only solution is to un-plug it. Re-setting the memory is not that big of an issue. It's just that I have to reach way under the cabinet behind my chiller and ATO tank to un-plug it. I could have mounted the control unit in a more serviceable area but the last thing I wanted from my RSM adventure was a bunch of wires, tubes, and cords dangling from the tank so I went for the clean install approach. Had i had the opportunity to start over, I would not have bought the Vortech MP20. I would have waited for the MP10. Maybe for the RSM 250, size won't be as much of an issue since the tank is so much larger.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
How does or would my torch do? I really like him & he seems blown just about right stock, I worry about him & my frogspawn when/if I get an mp10, any thoughts?

I protect him now with placement & he is very happy :)

Tony, I think you bring up some good points too...

TonyV

My torch is thriving well with lots of flow from my stock circ pumps and it's getting an upwards draft from the Vortech which is mounted right above it on the right side of the tank. I like movement in my tank and a waving torch does just that. SPS corals need not apply. :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I agree - good points TonyV, and I'm sure all of us MP20 owners would agree with at least #2 and #3, but you'll have those same issues with the MP10. I've always found it a major PITA to have to stand by the pump till it's the right time of night to reset my night mode after I've turned it off. Why not just go to a Koralia or Tunze?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Agree with Michael. The MP10 IMO wouldn't do much in the 250. Based on the MP20 in my 130, the MP40 would seem to be the best for the RSM 250.

brucewrs

I have 2 Korilias #1's and they are way too small for the 250.I also have a #3 that works great in the 250.If the Vortech is strong enough I might sell all three pumps.

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
I get as many people commenting on how great the mp40w looks as does the RSM250! I've put mine on Night Mode to reduce noise at night - i can sometimes hear it 'reving up'. Great buy!