Vortech MP20 in the RSM

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
mrfishy - try Photobucket for larger images. Near the bottom of this page of redseareef's thread I put some instructions that may be helpful if you want to try it - it's a free service:

Photobucket Instructions

From your pic it looks like the bubble should be OK. I have some GSP that sways in the current from the Vortech in a location close to where your bubble is, but GSP is like grass and moves very easily. The other corals I have in that vicinity have been fine in my tank.

By the way - the tank and corals look great to me! Good job!

mrfishy

hi folk
put the vortech in today
what a pump :thumbup: :thumbup: !!!!!
switched onto reef crest mode and the live rock just exploded with detrious
emptied skimmer twice already
freaked the fish for a few minutes but now happy
reefmack -- the bubble loves it
has anyone found a setting that suits rsm best ?
trying to get my head round the full tank photo next
cheers
drew

ZAPCOnj

ZAPCOnj - I was very close to first going the route you did - the higher priced Koralia wavemaker and DC controllable Koralia powerheads. Then I came across a long thread of reviews on the MP20 in nano tanks on another forum, and every comment was positive, even in smaller tanks than my 34g RSM. Just don't blame me for making those other choices before you went with the Vortech! :)

just got back from a week long tradeshow and i have to say... i can tell the vortech has some good undertow even in LAGOON mode. The sand on the bottom of my tank is all re aranged from the flow. and in a good way..

I still blame you for me buying this thing. lol... but in a good way!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
mrfishy - great news! I had a feeling the bubble might actually appreciate a bit more erratic flow. My fish appreciate the extra current as well. Right now I'm on reefcrest at approx. 80% of flow. I ran Short Pulse for a while at the beginning and liked that one too.

ZAPCOnj - Sorry about "making" you buy the Vortech LOL! :)

ZAPCOnj

hey reefmack - have you shot a video of your tank using the settings you have with the Vortech? I just plopped in a set of yellow polyps and they seem to be blowing all over.. not sure if they like it or not... They are not retracting but they have a pretty good amount of movement... here is a quick vid of what i mean...

[GVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1411587817567382117&hl=en[/GVIDEO]

btw.. got the pics of my 40 up if you're interested check the link in my sig.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
ZAPCOnj - The 40 looks great! No videos here, but I should make one or two. The Vortech flow on the yellow polyps looks like what I see on my Duncans and GSP, and both (and my other corals) are doing great after being exposed to the Vortech after a couple weeks now. IMO they seem to like the extra flow and erratic surges.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I just got an email from Eco Tech Marine - they now have 5 videos on setting up the Vortech, setting a wave, etc.

Eco Tech Marine Support

I could have used the one on how to get the cover off the driver box!

marine281

Just ordered a vortech mp20 for my rsm the other day, can't wait for it too arrive, flow is pretty poor in these tanks.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good news on the MP20 - hopefully you'll like it as much as the rest of us Vortech owners.

martyanddizy

Hi guys, Marty here from Adelaide in Austraila, have just got my Vortech MP20they are pretty expensive here in aussie i payed $519 o aussie dollars, have fitted it in the RSM & I am playing around with the best position & setting & speeds, have settled on the short pulse mode to see how it goes, the amount of detritus its blowing is amazing, very good flow everywhere in the tank, but have noticed that the Eupphyillia ancora has closed up a bit, but i will see how it goes, might have to move it, I am very pleased with the pump no noise which is great,
keep on reefing Marty

mrfishy

hi marty
wouldn't move anything for a while, my torch got blown to bits and closed up for two days but got used to the extra flow and is now growing like mad
they are expensive but ithink you will find it was a good investment
cheers
drew

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Martyanddizy. Good to hear you like the MP20. Yep - they are expensive, but also an impressive pump. The Euphyllia may get used to the flow and enjoy it, but keep an eye on it and move it or relocate the MP20 if needed. Reefcrest might work out better, as the maximum flow varies a lot, and may not blast the Euphyllia as hard or as frequently. Just an idea to try.

RSMBRASIL

Hi Reefmack!

Im writing from Brazil.

Im put the MP20 on my RSM because of this post! Tks!

1 question:

- Do you are with the MP20 and with the RSM powerheads turned on? Our only with the MP20?

tks!

ooh... here in Brazil the MP20 costs $740! uau!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hello RSMBRASIL and Welcome!

I do run both the MP20 and the RSM powerheads. I think you have the keep the RSM powerheads running or the water in the back compartment will become stagnant. The MP20 is expensive everywhere!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm not sure what the price is on the MP10, but looking at the specs it almost covers the same gph range as the MP20, with the MP20 going a few hundred gph higher. Since I run my MP20 at max I don't think I'd want one with less flow.

jdmevo9

they're going to retail for $195 so it's not bad considering how much the mp20 runs for and for the people that want to have the features of the mp20 wont have to pay as much.

TonyV

What orientation do other RSM owners run the inside propeller housing? It has a solid section and the remaining 75% is grated.