Vortech MP20 in the RSM

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I just put a new VorTech MP20 in the RSM, and I am very impressed with it! I'll be doing more playing around with the different modes and settings later, but it's creating flow in every part of the tank. I have it on short pulse mode now, which creates an adjustable frequency between minimum and maximum speeds, and is creating wave action on the surface. As I've read, the flow is very broad, so even at a max of supposedly 2000 gph it isn't blowing things off the rocks. Does a great job of suspending detritis too, so it can be pulled into the filtration section. Along with putting the Vortech in, I also gave the tank a good razor scraping, replaced all of my chemical media, and remounted some corals, including attaching a Palau Nepthea frag I had been growing out on my frag rack. So, my corals were all a bit "upset" with all the tank maintence going on, and many of them are sliming a bit, but the new pump is doing a great job of removing the slime and keeping it suspended till it gets filtered out. I can no longer see any dead spots in the tank. The coralline encrusted Koralia has been retired! So far no negatives on the Vortech, and it's very quiet. Amazing what a single pump can do!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Took some pictures.

From the right side of the RSM. the Vortec motor on the outside of the tank:

Vortechright.jpg

Inside - the magnetically powered propeller housing:

VortechInside.jpg

Turbulence on surface during a maximum power pulse:

VortechTurbulence1.jpg

Another:

VortechTurbulence2.jpg

FTS showing a bit of waves on the surface:

FTS10_18_08.jpg

As an added benefit the maximum tank temperature seems to have dropped at least one degree without the heat from the Koralia motor being in the tank.

I've also noticed that the Vortech has a lot of undertow - it not only pushes a lot of water, it also pulls a lot in too, which is creating great flow all over the tank, even under the Vortech.

bryceK

Looks like the Vortech is the next add on.....I have been looking into it but the price ohhhhh........and the fact that I just bought a new laptop cost me about the same as the Vortech but the wife would flip if I spent more money right now. I will probably have to wait for the holidays. Keep us posted as you always do.....

Arreola

Reefmack -
That is a very nice adition
I do have to agree with bryceK on the price, it is too expensive for me at this time.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Too many $ for me also, but it's the dang addiction and temporary insanity that makes me sink more money into this glass box of water. One day I'm thinking about just getting out of this altogether, and getting my free time back, and the next day I'm dropping more money into it. I think I need to get my head examined. :)

Wow! Just finished to read the VorTech brochure: This is the Lamborghini of pumps!

I am also looking into increasing circulation in the RSM and ended up with:
- A maxi jet 1200
- A magnetic holder for the MJ
- A Hydor Flo diverter.

$62 purchased online and shipped to my door...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Laurent! Yep - it's a Lamborghini, but I really love it and it really does the job of giving current all over the tank. I considered the MJ1200 and Hydor Flo also, and several multiple powerhead wavemakers, but had a bit of temporary insanity and got the Vortec. Let us know how the MJ1200 does. Good to see you got the mag mount too - as you probably know suction cups eventually let go and then you have a mess on your hands after the substrate gets blown all over the place!

I got my "Ford Pinto" pump yesterday and installed it immediately. It is installed in the top right corner, the output towards the front. I placed the other magnet in the "electrical center". I cannot use the splash cover any longer. :(

The flow is strong but very directional and even with the help of the rotating flow deflector, it is moving sand ( and crap) in the opposit bottom corner.

The all thing ( magnet + support clip + pump + deflector ) is quite big and is truly an eyesore, just like the Pinto...

All in all, not so happy so far... I guess it is the price to pay for not willing to pay for the Lamborghini of pumps.

My little Quantum of Solace: Driving a Mustang... :) Someday soon the Gallardo, maybe ?

ZAPCOnj

Reefmack - do you have any problems with the Sand bed blowing around in the tank? or do you have or are you experiencing any "splashing" at the water line and tank edge?

also, how loud is the pulsing of the pump?

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
LaurentSeattle - thanks for the humerous update on the MJ1200 hookup. I wonder if there's any way to hook up a short, flexible extension between the MJ1200 and HydorFlo so you can adjust the direction of flow?

ZAPCOnj - nope - no blowing around of my substrate, or splashing of water over the top. I suppose this could occur depending on where you mount the Vortech, the size of the tank, and how close your water line is to the top. but while it's a lot of gph, the flow it pushes out is very broad. I have mine mounted with the front edge of the round mount about 2.5" from the front glass, and the top edge of the round mount about 4.5" below the tank rim. If I moved it towards the back any more than that it would be blowing too hard on my rock & corals. Concerning noise, I don't hear any from the Vortech - maybe a very slight hum, if I put my ear up close to it. It made a bit of noise when I first powered it up, but it was a simple matter of moving the inside propeller assembly a tiny bit till the magnets were aligned correctly, and the noise stopped - took about 2 seconds. No noise since. My RSM powerheads, and my ex-Koralia all make more noise than the Vortech, plus they would blow the substrate around if I didn't adjust them not to do so.

ZAPCOnj

I'm gonna be away for a week but if i order it on monday.. it should be at my house by friday... just in time for me to set it up and shoot some pics and vids for the weekend....

that reminds me.. i need to start my chronicle soon.

reefsurf

reefmac that looks and sounds great.......i've been thinking of improving flow in my solana with opposing ph's but maybe this 1 would suffice.....hmmm ok gotta google for used ones....i don't know the new price but judging from the thread responses it looks like it costs a grip! i drive a chevy truck 99 model not thinking of going lamborghini.....although i do have moments of impulsive buying myself....haha keep us updated.....look at my thread and see what you think.....thanks

The MP20 sells for $299 at a reputable online store...
With the wireless wave system, it goes up to $420
Complete system (two pumps): very close of $1000

The Lamborghini Gallardo spider is about $300,000

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Got mine for 285 with free shipping, from Salty Supply - one of the RS supporting vendors. If you go to their site, find the Vortec, and click on the "email me a better price" I think you'll get a link sent back to get it at 285

I think the wireless system is really meant for running two Vortechs - to synchronize the 2 pumps wirelessly.

Reefsurf - nice tank!

ZAPCOnj - I think mine arrived in 3-4 days. Hopefully if you're not home someone will be there to bring it in.

Laurent - this is the only Lamborghini I'll ever own LOL! You can save your pennies for the real thing! :)

ZAPCOnj

great info!! do you now what the difference is in the 20 vs the 40? is it just the GPH or are there other differences?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
ZAPCOnj - I think the pump (inside and the outside motor) are the same, I think the MP40 is just a different controller (and maybe new propeller?) that gives twice the minimum and maximum flow. You should be able to get more information and a manual on the EcoTech Marine website.

gotcha

Got mine for 285 with free shipping, from Salty Supply - one of the RS supporting vendors. If you go to their site, find the Vortec, and click on the "email me a better price" I think you'll get a link sent back to get it at 285

I think the wireless system is really meant for running two Vortechs - to synchronize the 2 pumps wirelessly.

Reefsurf - nice tank!

ZAPCOnj - I think mine arrived in 3-4 days. Hopefully if you're not home someone will be there to bring it in.

Laurent - this is the only Lamborghini I'll ever own LOL! You can save your pennies for the real thing! :)

I ordered mine last night. It was hard to spend the money after putting an expensive hydor wavemaker and 2 of the Koralia 1 pumps on each side of my RSM yet these pumps seem to be a godsend compared to the other setups. Time will tell once I get it in and I also purchased the battery backup since in my area I seem to get outages periodically that always get me head spinning.

I also agree I think the wireless is if you have 2 pumps, it synch's them. I am not sure yet that is how I understood it.

This hobby is getting expensive. I should have stuck with my scuba diving vacations:cry1:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
This hobby is both addictive and costly! Maybe you can get a decent price for the Koralia Wavemaker setup, to ease the pain. Yes - my impression is that the "wireless" is just for communication between 2 Vortech pumps, to sync them.

reefsurf

i just ordered mine for my solana.....i know this is a rsm thread but it was still helpful! i'll post on the effectiveness once i get it and start using