Vortech MP10 vs. Koralia Pumps

Guys,

I have been looking around for a powerhead for my future reef tank (a 10g, 20g or a 40g, still deciding).

Originally I was planning to buy a Koralia Nano or 1 or 2 pump depend on the size of the tank that I'm going to set up.

Some people recommended a Vortech MP 10 over a Koralia. But what's so good about a Vortech pump? Ok, I know it gives a lot of water flow and it can make waves. But I really dont need those features. And the price of a Vortech seems unrealistic. Is this pump really worth that much money?

Please someone convence me and help me understand this product a little better. Thanks in advance.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Vortechs move a lot of water with a gentle current, which is very important in a reef tank. People often underestimate the amount of flow needed. I would argue that you do need a lot of flow for a reef

Vortechs are also programmable, so you get wavemaker function as well as a pump. If you compare the Vortech to the Korallia contoller and controllable pumps, that would be a more apples to apples comparison. A K1 to a Vortech are two totally separate things. Koralia pumps (without a controller) have a constant flow. Vortechs have variable flow by program and settings

Vortechs also have a battery backup add on which is very nice.

I had a 40 breeder tank with a Vortech MP20 and it was about the perfect sized pump. If you have the funds, Vortechs are about the best deal on the market. One MP10 will handle all the flow needs for a small tank.

Vortechs move a lot of water with a gentle current,

Are you talking about the GPH rate? What's the difference of this GPH rate between a Vortechs and a conventional pump (let's say both pumps can move 600 GPH)?

Gentle current means less water flow and that equal to less water movement. So I'm not getting it, sorry.

duz115

I had 2 Koralia nano in my 29 gallon reef and I switched to a Vortech MP10. My corals were much happier and opened a lot more then before. I would go with a Mp10

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
You get a gentler flow because it uses a wide propeller instead of a small impeller. The small impellers produce a much more laminar flow. The vortech produces something more akin to a current. You will see an undertow with a vortech for one thing. It moves a lot more water, I think the MP10 is something like 1500-2000 GPH.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Are you talking about the GPH rate? What's the difference of this GPH rate between a Vortechs and a conventional pump (let's say both pumps can move 600 GPH)?

Gentle current means less water flow and that equal to less water movement. So I'm not getting it, sorry.

Not really. The flow is much wider so you get lots of GPH but not so pinpoint and confined.

The Koralia pumps give off some great flow when compared to most other power-heads but I dno't think ANYTHING compares to the Vortech in any way ( including price).

tnwillia

my .02, if you can get the Vortech there is no question where to go, there is nothing better!

Lewey

If no one minds, I've got a question about Vortechs. I have a 125g, I guess I will need a MP40? And will 1 be enough?

tnwillia

Lewey... MP40 I think is rated 1K to 3K GPH turnover. It really depends on what you want the pumps to do for you. I got mine for the adjustable flow and the programable flow cycles along with the battery back up to eliminate some of my back-up power stuff.

MP20s are upgradable to MP40/controllers but I found it would cost more to do that than just get the MP40 to start with. Your 125 would really enjoy a MP40 but again it's what you want the pump to do. Have fun!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'd go with the MP40 if you can afford it. I can't recall anyone that has got a Vortech being unhappy with it. I have a MP20 in my 34 G tank, and while the flow is high it's a very broad flow.

seafansar

If no one minds, I've got a question about Vortechs. I have a 125g, I guess I will need a MP40? And will 1 be enough?

You could probably get away with one on one side, but the flow gets pretty weak after going 6' across the tank. I had just one MP40 on my 150 like that and quickly got another one to get more even flow. I put them both on the back of the tank and the flow is great. I have a mainly SPS reef though. If you have mostly softies or LPS, one should be enough. Maybe one on one side and a koralia one the other side to prevent dead spots.